3. The First Day (Rewrite)

Vivid visions were the only things Subaru could see, accompanied by hushes and muffled voices with incomprehensible meaning. He could feel the sadness and anguish of the voices he heard as he lay dormant in a colorless void that surrounds him, like a raging but streamlined storm of memories, if you can call it that. He regretted leaving them behind, worried about their safety as he is stuck here in this new world.

He wondered what would happen to them when they found out that he and his spirit went missing. At this point, that would be a mystery with an unanswerable question, as the river of the future splits into an infinite and endless stream. He is worried for them, yet cannot do anything. He is powerless, weak and pathetic.

Sorrow, regret, and worry. Those words repeat inside his mind as he lay there in the ocean of dreams.

"I feel pathetic."

And with those words, his real self began to wake up, as the muffled deep whistling became louder and clearer, vanquishing the other voices he heard inside his head, and the colorless raging storm being replaced by an ever expanding light in front of his eyes. Natsuki Subaru had decided to pause his deep pondering slumber right there, for now.

__________________________________

He awakened his eyes to the sight of the girl he came to know as Ruby Rose, whistling loudly and energetically waking up her teammates. As he lay there on a borrowed blanket he used as a makeshift futon, he switched his focus towards Beatrice sleeping beside him, hugging him tightly as she tried to sleep peacefully, trying to ignore the annoying screech of Ruby's whistle. No one really questioned her action here, as she just said to them "To keep Betty's Subaru from having terrible nightmares, I suppose!" And no one attempted to argue from then on.

"Wake up! Time to get ready! First class is about to start in an hour!" The little rose declared, forcing everyone to get up from their slumber.

Ruby kept being annoying while trying to wake up everyone. Weiss was the first to get ready as she exited the bathroom already in her uniform, while Blake was waiting by the bathroom's door. Yang however, was still sleeping, scratching her exposed belly even.

Subaru decided to ignore her antics and focused on waking up his Beako with his own way.

"Kyaaa, in fact!"

By stretching her hair drills apart of course. It was an effective strategy, as it energized her immediately after waking up. Subaru puts on a sly smile upon his success, trying to hide the fact that he was feeling a bit down and worried today.

"Subaru, that is harassment, I suppose!" Beatrice half-yelled. She began to flail her arms at him, trying to hit his chest as Subaru stood up. 

He proceeded to give her a head pat and waited by the door to the bathroom, leaving the pouting Beatrice on the makeshift futon. 

Blake, who was second at exiting the bathroom, noticed him there, and noticed the pouting Beako as well. "What happened?"

"Nothing special! Just our daily ritual of drill-hair pulling!"

He puts on a smile once again, earning a confused look from her as he enters the bathroom, uniform in tow which he picked up from a chair near him. Blake went on to question his spirit partner about that "daily ritual", but before she could ask, the loli already answered.

"It is not true, in fact! Subaru should apologize, I suppose!" The spirit answered, still pouting.

"Shut up you drill-haired loli! I'm trying to sleep!" Yang yelled.

"You shut up, in fact! Wake up, I suppose! Even Betty's Subaru is better than you!"

Ruby nodded. "She's right Yang, wake up before you pass out again!"