Chapter 4

*Trigger warning// mentions of su*cide*

It's been almost a week since the whole situation with Pete.

After my appointment with Cheryl last week I drove around for a few hours with the music blasting so loud I couldn't think, then I got lunch and went home to lay in bed and watch netflix and feel sorry for myself, as one does.

The rest of the week was normal, I went to work at the daycare I work at as usual, wallowed in my self loathing, again as usual, and avoided Cheryl's calls and texts as usual too.

That will probably have to come to an end today though sadly, because it's thursday.

Group therapy day.

If I thought it wouldn't get me sent to the loony bin again I wouldn't even bother going, but I know Cheryl's just waiting for me to mess up so she has an excuse to ship me off.

I'm still pissed at Cheryl for last week. I've been seeing her for about five months, ever since my "incident", and she always finds a way to bring it back up or throw it in my face. She can be a real bitch sometimes and I really don't see the point in seeing her.

Did I try to kill myself? Yeah, so what? It would've made everyone's lives a lot better as far as I'm concerned, but I digress.

I've been sitting on my bathroom floor for the past half an hour trying to force myself to get ready. I finally pull myself up and start to get dressed when my phone starts ringing.

It's Pete.

He's tried to call me a few times since the day he left my apartment, and I've ignored him every time. I thought by now he would've caught on to the fact that I don't wanna hear from him. I'm not trying to be rude, and I wasn't trying to hurt his feelings when I told him to get out of my apartment, it's just the way things have to be. It's better off this way.

This way nobody gets hurt.

This way nobody can hurt me.

Nobody gets that power, ever again.

I decline Pete's call and get back to getting ready. I throw on clothes, grab my wallet and keys, and head out of my apartment. I take the elevator down, walk through the lobby into the parking lot, and get into my car. I turn the car on, pull out of the parking lot, and head to Cheryl's office.

When I get to Cheryl's, I park the car, and sit. I can't bring myself to get out and walk inside. I can see Pete's car parked across the parking lot, so I know he's already inside.

Just go in and sit down, that's all you have to do. Don't look at anyone. Don't talk to anyone. Just sit.

If Cheryl thinks I'm gonna say a single word in there after last week, she's got more mental issues than me, and that's saying something.

After several minutes of convincing, I finally get out of my car and walk inside. I sign in at the front desk and walk down the hall. I hesitate before walking into the room, picking a random seat and not daring to make eye contact with anyone. I sat there for what felt like forever waiting for Cheryl to show up, I could practically feel Pete staring at me, but I didn't bother looking up. I didn't even wait for Cheryl to say anything when she walked in before I had already tuned her out.

I sit there the entire time, tuning everything out, and staring at the floor. Finally, the session ends and I jump out of my seat and rush out of the door to get out of here as fast as possible before anybody can stop me. That plan quickly fails as I hear Pete running up behind me as I walk outside.

"Hey Emily, wait up." Pete calls out from several feet behind me. I keep walking and try to ignore him.

"Or don't, I guess." Pete says again as he starts speeding up to catch up to me.

It only takes a few seconds until he catches up to me and starts walking beside me towards my car. I keep staring forward and don't say anything.

"Hey uh, I tried to call you a couple times-"

"I know."

"Oh...okay. Well do you wanna go get some food again? I can drive and then-" Pete tries to say before I stop walking once we're near my car and cut him off.

"You just don't get it do you?"

"What are you talking about?"

"What happened between us last week was a mistake. I don't do these kinds of things. You're wasting your time."

"But I thought we had fun the other night-"

"Well I'm sorry you're delusional and thought the other night was more than it was, but it wasn't. I don't do relationships, I don't do feelings, it's all pointless and I really don't need this right now." I say, getting really annoyed and overwhelmed by this whole situation.

" I say, getting really annoyed and overwhelmed by this whole situation

Pete doesn't say anything, just stares at me confused. I don't wait for him to say anything before I get in my car and drive off.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't hate every second of that.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want things to be this way, Pete's a really nice guy. I just can't handle it. Feelings and emotions like this just mess with my head. I can't handle it, I always either mess things up or get hurt, and I don't want either of those to happen again. It's always one way or the complete opposite with me. I either fall for someone so hard it consumes my entire life and rips me apart, or I completely cut everyone off and feel nothing at all. I don't understand it, I wish I did. I decided after my "incident", it would be better for everyone if I cut all my feelings off, that way nobody gets hurt again.

I didn't mean to hurt Pete, I just didn't have a choice.

He didn't give me a choice.

*******

sorry these last two chapters are a little shorter, but i posted them both today to hopefully make up for it. i'm gonna try and update again tomorrow but i have to write a 3 page essay i've been putting off so if i don't update tomorrow i'll have it up the day after at the latest. anyways, hope you guys are enjoying the story. i've been trying to put as much in as i can, but i'm not the most detail oriented person when it comes to writing. i just kinda tell it how it is i guess so the chapters end up being shorter than i'd anticipated but hopefully that's okay. anyways, here's this chapters picture of pete looking cute as always :)

 anyways, here's this chapters picture of pete looking cute as always :)