Chapter 7

When I woke up Pete had already gotten up, which is probably a good thing because I've been laying here for the past twenty minutes with my head spiraling over everything that's happened with Pete.

I think I failed at trying not to catch feelings for him.

I push all my thoughts about Pete to the side and get out of bed, get dressed, and walk out of Pete's room. I walk down the hall and into the living room and see Pete and Colson in the kitchen. Pete looks up and sees me walking in.

"Hey look who finally woke up. Come on, I made breakfast."

"Oh no thanks, I'm good."

"Nah after all you smoked last night you need to eat something." Colson says laughing over his plate of food. I walk over and sit beside Colson at the table as Pete gets up and grabs a plate of bacon and eggs and sits it in front of me as he sits back down. We all sit and eat, Pete and Colson talk while I sit there, stuck in my head, trying to make sense of everything.

"Yo Emily, you good?" Pete asks, noticing I'm not talking.

"Yeah, I'm good. I should just probably get going before I'm late for work." I say as I start to stand up.

"Oh okay, I'll walk you out" Pete says as he stands up. We both start walking towards the door.

"Bye Colson." I say as I open the door to leave.

"See ya Em." Colson says, throwing his hand up to wave while eating.

Em?

A nickname?

Nobody's ever given me a nickname before.

I kinda like it.

Pete walks outside behind me and we make our way to my car.

"So, where do you work?" Pete asks me.

"The daycare down the street."

"Oh cool, didn't have you pegged as someone who liked kids." he says, laughing.

"They're a lot better than grown ups." I laugh.

"Fair enough." he says as we both laugh. We both stand there for a minute, neither of us knowing what to say.

"Well I'll see you later I guess, I gotta go." I finally say.

"Yeah sorry, see you later." he says. I get into my car, put the key in the ignition, and try to crank my car.

Nothing.

You've gotta be kidding me right now.

Pete turns from where he had started walking back inside as I start to get out of my car.

"Everything okay?"

"Uh, not exactly. My car won't start and I've got like ten minutes to get to work." I say, scratching the back of my neck.

"Um, hey what if I just drive you to work and then me and Colson can take a look at it and have it fixed when you get back?"

"You don't have to do that, I can just-"

"Nope, I'll go tell Colson and grab my keys. I'll be right back." he says as he walks inside. He walks back out with his keys and we both get into his car. We drive for a few minutes before we pull into the parking lot of the daycare.

"What time do you get off? I'll pick you up."

"I get off at 6, thanks for doing this, you really didn't have to." I say as I grab my stuff to get out of the car.