Chapter 21

"So, who's gonna be at this dinner thing anyways?" Dominic asked.

We've been in the car, heading to the restaurant, for about 20 minutes. We've talked practically the entire time and I'm almost convinced we're the same person. We've finished each other's sentences at least a dozen times, and I don't think there's a single thing we don't have in common. It's the strangest thing, I've always felt so alone and like no one understood me, and now it's like there's two of me in the car.

"Just Pete and his friend, and my friend Leila and her boyfriend." I replied.

If I'm being honest, I'm really glad I met Dominic. I'm also glad he's coming with me tonight, because that's one more person between me and Asher. I haven't heard from Leila since she cancelled our plans to talk, and now I don't know when I'll have a chance to tell her. Which means I still have to be around Asher and it's just gonna get more difficult. Especially since my dad wants to meet everyone and he doesn't know about Leila and Asher.

I still have to tell him about Dominic.

That'll be fun. 

My dad will probably like Dominic as much as I do, that's not the problem. The problem is I have to find a time for the conversation and actually tell him, which I'm not looking forward to.

"Right. And who's Leila again?" Dominic asks.

"Uh she's my friend I met at South Beach, the mental hospital." I said.

"Got it. Can I ask why you were in a mental hospital, or is that too personal?" he asked.

"I don't really like to talk about it, maybe later. We're almost at the restaurant anyways." I say.

"Alright, no problem."

We finally pulled into the parking lot and I noticed everyone's cars were already outside. I parked my car next to Pete since the spot was empty. Then we got out of the car and started walking to the front door of the restaurant.

"If you don't wanna stay the whole time just let me know, they can all be a little much sometimes so I get it if it gets to be too much." I say as we're walking.

"Thanks I will, but I'm sure it'll be fun." he said, smiling.

We walked inside the restaurant and I looked around to find everyone sitting at a booth on the wall. I nudged Dominic to follow me over to where they were sitting.

"Hey guys." I said as we made it to the table.

"Yo, what's up Em?" Colson said as he was inhaling his food, then he looked up at me and Dominic. "Oh hey Dom, what are you doing here man?"

"You two know each other?" I said, confused."

"Yeah, I work at Colson's tattoo shop. What's up man?" he said, reaching over the table to give Colson a handshake.

Why didn't I put that together before now? 

I'm so dumb.

"Well everybody, this is Dominic...my brother." I say.

"You can just call me Dom if you guys want." he said as he waved at everyone.

"How come I didn't know you had a brother?" Leila asked as we sat down at the table. Leila was sitting between Colson and Asher on the other side of the table and I sat down beside Pete and Dominic sat down beside me.

"I didn't know either until a few days ago. We have different moms, and he grew up in Queens with his mom." I said.

We all started talking and eating, but I kept noticing Asher looking at me from across the table.