Chapter 33

Cheryl's here.

I woke up this morning and saw Cheryl outside my room talking to the doctor.

She hasn't come in my room or told me why she's here, but it can't be for anything good.

I've been on edge all morning with her here and Pete keeps telling me it's probably nothing but I know he's just saying that so I don't freak out.

My jaws pretty much healed now and my ribs are getting better everyday, but they still haven't let me leave the hospital. The bruising is practically all gone except for a few places, which is good because the first time I went to the bathroom when I woke up a few days ago and saw myself in the mirror, I broke down crying and Pete had to pick me up from the floor. He seems like he's walking on eggshells around me since I woke up though, like I may snap at any second.

Everyone keeps looking at me like I'm a frail little child laying in this hospital bed, and I know they mean well, but it's starting to get on my nerves. I'm just ready to get out of here and for everything to go back to the way things were before everything went to shit.

I haven't talked to the police either, and honestly I don't want to, I just wanna put all this behind me. I doubt I'll ever see Asher again anyways, he's not stupid enough to show back up after what he did. The doctors mentioned it a couple times, just because they were concerned which I appreciated, but I just told them I was still thinking about it.

My dad and Leila were here earlier today but they both had things to do so they left about an hour ago, so it's just me and Pete right now. He went and got us lunch from the cafeteria but I've been too busy worrying about why Cheryl's here to even eat.

She's probably telling the doctor that he should've just let me die, it'd be a lot less work for her.

"Emily, staring at Cheryl isn't gonna make her go away or tell you why she's here." Pete says when he sees I'm not eating.

"I just wish she'd leave me alone. I almost died, you'd think that'd earn me some time away from her." I say, sighing.

Just as I look back into the hall I see Cheryl turn around to walk into my room.

"Shit, this is just great." I say, sarcastically as she makes it to the doorway.

"Hello Emily, it's nice to see that you're okay." she says, as professional as ever.

"Yeah, it's great to see you too Cheryl. Can you cut the crap now and just tell me why the hell you're here?" I say, irritated.

"Well, I see you've still got that great personality of yours so that's good." she starts to say and I almost jump out of the bed to rock her shit but then she continues. "I'm here because we need to figure out a plan for after you get released from the hospital."

"Uh, what are you talking about? I'm going home after I leave here."

"I"m afraid it's not simple, Emily. You should know that you don't get to go home after things like this." she says.

"I got beat up and almost strangled to death, this time is different." I say and then I notice Pete looking down to the floor.

"Emily, you and I both know that's not the only thing that put you here. You tried to kill yourself again and because of that you don't get to go home, you need treatment. I'm just here to see if you want that to be at South Beach again or somewhere else."

"I'd rather be dragged out of here in a body bag then go back to South Beach, does that answer your question, Cheryl?" I say, raising my voice slightly out of irritation.

"Alright then, I'll find somewhere else that's close for you to go to. I'm afraid you'll have to stay there for a minimum of three weeks this time, due to this being a repetitive occurrence now." she says, walking back towards the door.

"Don't worry, next time I'll make sure to fully commit to it and save you the trouble." I say, rolling my eyes.

Cheryl doesn't say anything, just walks out of the room and shuts the door behind her. Then I reach behind me and grab the nearest pillow to throw at the door. After the pillow hits the floor, I turn to Pete, who's still staring at the floor.

Neither of us say anything for a few minutes. It was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. Pete looked so sad and I wondered what he was thinking about and what I could do. I hate being like this in front of him, but Cheryl just pisses me off so much I can't help it.

"I'm sorry, she just really pisses me off." I say, trying to get him to look up from the floor.

"I get it." he says, not lifting an eye.

I sit for a minute, trying to think of the right words to say.

"You know, when I took all those pills, it wasn't because I don't care about you or everyone else. I love you guys so much. It was just, after the things Asher said, I thought you'd all be better off without me. I wasn't really expecting you all to care so much like you guys have. I never really thought I mattered that much to anyone before now." I say, fiddling with the blanket in front of me while I talk.

"Emily, you're the most important person in my life. I mean yeah, It hurt when I found out what you did, and at first I was kind of upset, but the more I thought about it and looked back on everything while we were all waiting for you to wake up, the more I understood why you did it. I'm not saying it still doesn't hurt, but I am sorry that I didn't make it clear just how much I love you and how much you mean to me." he says, looking up from the floor. 

********

hey guys, i'm so sorry this update took so long and it's so short. i've had the hardest time getting through this chapter for some reason, but i wanted to atleast get something out to you guys so you didn't think i abandoned the story lol. 

ngl, the next chapter might take a couple days. i'm trying to get everything lined up to end the story the way i want to so it's been a little difficult because i've had like zero motivation or ideas lol. 

here's pete, see you in the next one :)

also, do y'all want chapters from when she goes to the mental hospital? I was gonna just skip to when she gets out and throw flashbacks and stuff in some of the chapters but i can write them out if you guys want?