Chapter 30

*PETE'S POV*

It's been four days...

And I haven't left this chair.

Emily still hasn't woken up and I've lost all feeling in my legs more times than I can even count. I've only gotten up from beside her to use the bathroom or to walk to the parking lot with Dom and Colson a couple times just to get fresh air. Her dad, Dom, Colson, and Leila have showed up everyday at different times, just to check on her and help out, whenever they're not busy. If it wasn't for them I probably wouldn't have even eaten the past four days. Even John showed up a couple of times, but he's been swamped with work and personal stuff so he hasn't been able to stay long, so he just texts and calls me a thousand times a day.

The doctors said they're not sure why she hasn't woken up yet, but sometimes people just take longer to recover from these kinds of things. The bruises are still there, but they're not as dark and purple anymore. It's probably a good thing she hasn't woken up yet, I'm sure she'd be in a lot of pain if she was awake. 

I keep talking to her like she's awake though, partly because I hope that she'll hear me and wake up, and partly because I just miss her and miss talking to her. I even got bored and painted her fingernails the other day. I just sat there rambling on about whatever I could think of while I painted her fingernails, hoping she'd wake up even if it was just to tell me to shut up. 

It amazes me how she still manages to look so beautiful even when she's covered in bruises and bandages and in a hospital gown, but somehow she pulls it off. The nurses have come in and brushed her hair and stuff a couple times but even without that she'd still be gorgeous. Leila even bought her a new outfit to wear when she gets out of the hospital and brought it here the other day.

I woke up to a bunch of nurses and doctors scrambling around Emily and yelling and a bunch of loud beeping noises. I had no idea what was going on and none of them would tell me what was happening.

"Clear!" one of the doctors yelled before they shocked her with those terrifying paddles.

Then the beeping stopped and all the people in the room seemed to let out a sigh of relief and then slowly dispersed out of the room while Emily's doctor walked over to where I was sitting.

"Her heart stopped while you were sleeping, we got her back and she's okay now, but we'll be keeping a close eye on her for now just to make sure." he says.

I talked to the doctor for a few minutes, thanking him, and then he walked out of the room. I turned back to Emily, grabbed her hand, and started bawling my eyes out onto the hospital bed sheets.

"I'm so sorry. Everything's gonna be okay, I promise. I'm not gonna let anyone or anything hurt you ever again. Please just wake up." I say through the tears flowing down my face, but she doesn't even move a muscle.

"Pete, what happened? Are you okay? Is she okay?" John asks as he walks into the room.

"Her heart stopped, they had to shock her to bring her back. I was asleep and she almost-" I try to say but then I can't keep myself from crying even harder.

"Hey, it's okay. Look, she's fine." he says and we both turn to look at Emily. "She's gonna be okay, just gotta get through the rough patches."

"I really hope so, man. This is killing me seeing her like this, I just wanna fix everything and take her home." I say.

"I'm sure she'll wake up soon, and she'll be really glad you're here and that you stayed with her, but you gotta take care of yourself too, Pete. I mean, when's the last time you even showered? Brushed your teeth? Changed clothes?" he says, concerned.