2 | Stoneheart, part 2

I mindlessly ate my toast, trying not to let my sour mood get out of hand. Dad had left the house hours ago, back to work. Luckily, he hadn't been turned to stone. Ellie flew around me as I sat on the couch, biting on the toasted bread as the news played in front of me.

"These stone beings are scattered all over Paris. For now, they're showing no signs of movement. Police have taped off the areas," The woman on the news Nadja Chamock, reported as she read from her paper. The show then cut to a short segment of Mayor Bourgeois speaking before going back to Nadja. "For now, Paris is relying on our new guardian angels Camoufler, Ladybug, and Chat Noir to save us. Our lives depend on them."

I immediately turned off the tv, letting out a sigh as the silence filled the room. Ellie floated in front of me in worry.

"This is all my fault. I should've known that we had to capture the akuma," I blamed myself as I closed my eyes and leaned back against the couch. I furrowed my eyebrows and crossed my arms. "My first day and I've already messed it up."

"Relax, [Y/n]. We'll be able to fix this, I promise," Ellie promised as she hovered near me. "You don't want to be late for school, right? We should get going. Don't be so negative."

"Yeah, you're right," I sighed, but wasn't really feeling energetic at the moment. I knew as soon as I stepped out the door, I'd have to put on a happy face so nobody thinks anything was wrong.

I walked over to the door, grabbing my bag and putting on my shoes. Ellie flew in front of me before I could leave the house.

"[Y/n]. Cheer up. Don't blame yourself for this. It's going to be okay," Ellie told me, to which I just looked at her. "You're not the one who created the akuma."

"Yeah, but I was supposed to save them," I sighed as I reached to open the door. She flew in front of me once again with a stern look. "There's still a chance to fix this, right?"

"Yes! With Ladybug's help, you'll be able to undo everything. You just have to wait for the right timing, okay? Everything will turn out fine," Ellie encouraged me as she flew into hiding. I nodded once as I stepped out of the house, making my way to school.

Arriving at the building, I saw Marinette and Alya waiting outside on the sidewalk for me. I put a smile on my face once I reached them.

"Hey guys," I greeted them with a small wave. Alya was excitedly tapping away on her phone, and I followed behind her as she quietly made her way into the school. It seemed uncharacteristic for her to be so quiet. Shooting Marinette a glance, she seemed to be just as confused as I. "Hey, Alya? Is everything okay? You're kinda quiet."

"Oh, sorry! I was just updating my new blog," Alya told us, to which I slightly cocked my head in confusion. As we entered the open courtyard that had students buzzing about, she showed Marinette and I her phone. "I call it 'Ladyfler, where you can get all the latest news about the two best heroines!' What do you think? Check out the number of views I got!"

"Wow, that's really cool," I admired, genuinely meaning it. I saw the video of me dodging attacks from Stoneheart, Ladybug launching up into the sky, and me winking at Alya. A smile was on my face when I saw Ladybug throw Chat Noir at Stoneheart, and a small laugh left my throat. "Ladybug's super cool."

"Really? What about Camoufler?" Marinette asked, to which I nodded as well.

"Yeah, she's awesome too. I think they're both really cool heroes," I said, though I wasn't exactly telling the truth about myself. I was having a lot of doubt in whether I'm fit for this.

Marinette looked worried, sad, and anxious. Both Alya and I looked to each other as we each placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Marinette, if you're scared about what's going on, Camoufler and Ladybug will fix it. You don't have to worry, 'kay?" I assured her, to which it seemed like a bit of light came back to her eyes.