9 | The Evillustrator

"Nathaniel! What are you drawing?"

Miss Mendeleiev's voice shouting from the back of the classroom was like an alarm clock. I was suddenly wide awake as I sat at my science table between Marinette and Alya. Marinette giggled from my right at my sudden alertness, but I just rolled l my eyes and nudged her. "This is clear why you're failing science!"

"I'm sorry," Nathaniel quietly apologized.

"You go march yourself down to the principal's office and explain that chicken scratch!" Miss Mendeleiev shouted.

"Harsh," I whispered to myself as Nathaniel walked solemnly down the aisle towards us. Unfortunately, my comment did not go unheard.

"Would you like to join him, Miss [Y/n]?" I shook my head and silently turned forward once again. At that same moment, Nathaniel tripped over Marinette's backpack on the ground and dropped his sketchbook. Chloe picked it up, and began flipping through it.

"Ooh, look Sabrina! It's him as a superhero! And look who he's saving. It's Marinette!" The girl's face turned red when she heard that. "He is so totally crushing on you Marinette."

"Just shut up, Chloe!" I groaned in annoyance from my seat.

"Give me that back!" Nathaniel shouted and took the sketchbook out of Chloe's hands.

"Enough!" Miss Mendeleiev interrupted before anyone else could chime in. "Nathaniel, go!"

Nathaniel walked out of the classroom dejectedly with his things, making me frown. It wouldn't have been as bad if Chloe hadn't looked through the sketchbook, but as usual, she had to do something rude.

"Moving on, the next particle group is Adrien, Nino, and Alya," Miss Mendeleiev said, looking down at her paper. Nino and Adrien high fived in front of the three of us.

"Lucky," I muttered, which didn't go unheard by Marinette. She snickered, and I rolled my eyes.

"And finally, as there's an odd number, our last group has four people. Chloe, Sabrina, Marinette, and [Y/n]." I could cry. Marinette slammed her head on the desk while I sighed.

"So unlucky," Alya said as I patted Marinette's back.

"Um, Miss, can those two work as their own group? Sabrina and I work better on our own," Chloe raised her hand, and I crossed my fingers in hopes Miss Mendeleiev would say yes. For once in my life, I actually hoped something would go Chloe's way.

"I've made up my mind, Miss Bourgeois, deal with it," Miss Mendeleiev turned her down, making Chloe angry. The bell rang a moment later, and everyone packed up their stuff. My mood had gone down immensely.

"Talk about a nightmare," I muttered as I packed up my stuff. "Alya, let's trade groups."

"Sorry, no can do. I wouldn't want to deal with those two terrors either. At least you'll have Marinette!" Alya said optimistically. "Besides, "I'll tell Adrien all the good things about you while we do particles and physics."

"You're the best," I laughed as we left the classroom and headed to the locker room. Our class was in there, people gathering some of their things and switching things out since class was over. Walking into the locker room, I overheard Chloe say she can't do the project. "Why can't you help with the project?"

"None of your business, Miss Nosey," Chloe retorted and crossed her arms.

"Actually, it is since we're part of the group," Marinette countered before I could blow a fuse.

"It's okay guys! Us three can do all the research and put together the project, then we can put Chloe's names on the project," Sabrina tried to assure us, but it just made me raise an eyebrow. "That way it's equal."