11 | Rogercop

I was late to school again, but this time I didn't mind. It was career day today, meaning everyone's parents had come in. My dad left earlier this morning than usual, leaving me an extra long apology note, for both what happened when I found him in his room last night and that he wouldn't be able to make it to career day.

Ellie hadn't brought it up this morning when I read the note silently to myself. She instead asked if we could make some cookies together when we got home, and that she'd pour in the chocolate chips herself. She couldn't usually help very often since she was so small, but it was nice she was making an effort.

"Hi father, it's me. It's parents career day at school, remember? I was hoping that you were gonna show up. Call me back." Walking towards my classroom, I accidentally arrived just as Adrien was getting off the phone. He looked sad.

"Your dad can't make it either?" I asked. He turned to me, and I held onto my backpack straps. "Sorry, I overheard your call."

"It's fine," Adrien replied and shook his head. He shoved his phone back in his pocket. "My father's probably got a lot of work. That's usually why he's always locked up in his office."

"My dad's got a lot of work too, so I can kind of understand where you're coming from," I said with a small smile. He seemed a bit better now, his eyes not quite as sad. I peeked into the classroom.''It looks like Marinette's dad is handing out croissants. If we don't hurry, they'll be too cold and stale by the time we get in there."

"Yeah, you're right. Let's go," Adrien agreed. I pushed open the door quietly, him following right behind me. Marinette was walking around and handing out the croissants.

Everyone was clapping, since Mr. Dupen's presentation had just ended. I quietly snuck to my seat in the second row behind Chloe, who was showcasing a new bracelet to Sabrina. Ignoring the mayor scolding Chloe as Alya's mother began presenting, I sat in my seat boredly.

"You seem sad," Alix mentioned as I placed my bag beside me. I looked over to her in surprise, and saw her dad beside her. "Is something up? Your parents aren't here either."

"Oh, I'm just tired. And my dad couldn't come in today since he's too busy," I dismissed it with a smile. She looked at me warmly, but had her attention diverted when a croissant was placed in front of her. One was placed in front of me too. "Thanks Marinette."

Marinette smiled and nodded, then tripped as soon as she took a step down. It looks like Chloe's bag had spilled over, and Marinette tripped on a book. The croissants went flying.

"Are you alright?" I asked her as I placed my own croissant down on the table, and began helping her pick up the fallen pastries.

"I'm fine," she sighed. She then looked around. "Where's your dad?"

"Busy at work," I answered and averted eye contact. It made me slightly jealous that everyone else had parents to bring to school, but mine were either busy or gone forever. I kept it under control, though, not wanting to cause a problem and get akumatized.

"My bracelet! It's gone!" Chleo wailed just as I got back in my seat, having finished cleaning up with Marinette. Sabrina's dad was now presenting, and he was a police officer. The blonde turned angrily at Marinette and I with an accusatory finger. "You two! One of you stole it!"

"What are you talking about?" Marinette exclaimed in disbelief. Chloe turned to me angrily.

"You purposely tripped on my bag, then your friend here stole it!" Chloe accused, leaning in close to Marinette's face.

"Oh please. I don't want any of your junk," I took a bite of my croissant and rolled my eyes. Chloe seethed as she turned to Sabrina's dad.

"You! You're a policeman! Arrest them!" She demanded. I nearly choked on my croissant.