It Was Fine

"Ma'am,Nikhil Sir from Paediatrics has come to meet you",Pallavi tells me when I'm in the OT(Operation Theatre).

"Now?",I mumble to myself.

It's been a few days since that day,the day we've mutually decided to not talk about via telepathy.

Things are back to normal.

"What are you doing here?",I ask Nikhil, pulling my mask down as I see him just outside the OT.

"It's lunch time, Sandy",he deadpans.

"You know I have OT on Thursdays."

"And I also know you skip lunch on Thursdays."

I raise an eyebrow,"Your point?"

"I brought lunch for you",he grins, pointing towards a Tupperware box.

A smile spreads on my face,"What are you waiting for then? I have ten minutes to spare at least,till the patient is shifted. Let's go ",We walk to the room next to the OT, usually used as Pantry on OT days.

"You didn't make this. Did you?",I ask,spooning Paneer into my mouth.

"No",he rolls his eyes,"Ananya did."

"You're so lucky to have such a sweet sister."

He raises his eyebrow,"Sure."

I pause midchew,"Am I eating your lunch?"

Nikhil shrugs uneasily,"I'll have something in the canteen."

"You could just bought something for me from the canteen then",I mumble.

The reason I skip food on busy days is because of the long distance I've to walk to the canteen. I am used to skipping lunch every now and then.

"Are you complaining? ",Nikhil teases, eyeing the Paneer rice I was gobbling.

"Not at all",I grin,"Thank Anu on my behalf,will you?"

"I will", Nikhil's face splits into a wide grin.

I'm awkward for a second that I had addressed his sister as Anu, but let it go,as Nikhil didn't seem to mind all that much.

"You don't want to eat?",I spoon some rice, pointing to him.

Nikhil raises an eyebrow,smiling softly,"No Sandy. I don't."

"Your loss",I shrug, finishing my lunch.

"I should probably wash it",I mumble when Nikhil takes the box from my hand.

"No worries",he laughs.

My smile falters when Nikhil leans towards me,crowding my space.

Out of all the places he could get,it had to be the hospital?

I sit rooted on my chair,my eyes following his motion as he raises his hand, disappearing behind my head.

I hold my breath when I feel a touch on my neck.

I stare at him, wondering what he was doing.

"Your cap is loose",Nikhil mumbles, holding the strings of my cap.

"Oh",I kick myself inwardly when I feel him tying the knot of my cap, tightening it around my head as the knot sits on the junction of my head and neck.

I shiver when I feel him stroking my neck softly, willing my eyes to be open.

We only stare at each other,inches apart, our breaths almost mingling.