Wait For Me Nikhil

"Come with me Sandy",Anshu drags me across the stairs.

"Why did they have to shift the xerox machine to the freaking fifth floor",I grumble.

"I know right. This is no way to make us walk just because the hospital thinks they have overweight residents. How can the lift stop working too?",she says, annoyed.

I gasp when I see Nikhil coming outside the Xerox room,sporting a black eye and a bruised jaw.

"Anshu",I hiss when he leaves,"You said you punched him once."

"But I punched him only once", Anshu persists,"Avyukth had done the rest."

"You are-"

"Why are you reacting so much? You never acted this way when I punched Dhruv."

"Yes. But that was after we broke up. Not while I still lik-"

"Go on. Complete the sentence. I dare you",Anshu grins.

"Take your time",her lips stretch further when I glower at her.

"I'm so done with this conversation",I huff, prepared to leave.

"Sandy,give me the papers first and then go to Nik-",Anshu pauses when I glare at her, motioning to tear the papers,"Um..Temple. Yes. Go to Temple to pray that God gives me brain."

I smirk, handing her the sheets.

I'm at the edge of the room when I hear a 'You can also pray that Nikhil recovers quickly.'

I am more bothered than relieved when Nikhil doesn't talk to me the whole day.

He's around. But keeps his distance.

It's like I want to avoid him. But when he does the same ,I feel hurt.

Does that make sense?

When I couldn't take the guilt anymore, that he's hurt because of me,I go to find him.

But what the hell will I say.

I just became overly emotional in front of Anshu. And being the deranged-

Okay no. Anshu is not deranged. She did it for me. I edit my statement.

I just became overly emotional in front of Anshu. And Anshu being Anshu ,she attacked you.

"Hey Nikhil",I greet him when I see him in the corridor.

He pushes the door open to the room he apparently had to go, collecting his things.

"Hi Sandy."

When he doesn't say anything,just packing his things,I mumble,"I'm sorry for that",I point to his face when he looks at me.

He runs a hand through his hair,"I can guess what part of our argument hurt you Sandy. But I don't know how I can prove it to you that I did not mean any of the hurtful things I said."

I swallow. Shit. The conversation is not going as planned.

"Time will tell,Nikhil."

He sighs,walking towards me, clenching his fists,"I'm really Sorry Sandy. I really do love you. And I don't wish I didn't."

My breath hitches.I am floored.

Direct confession?

He walks closer to me,our sandals touching,"I am seriously lost",He shakes his head,"I don't want this one mistake of mine to cost me you."

Inspite of the situation,I find myself blushing.

Like,why?

"You said you feel something for me yesterday",Nikhil pauses. We are so close,our chests inches apart,"Do you still feel that way, Sandy?",he hangs his head in shame.

I could my heart pumping in my ears,"Nikhil,I-",I pause.

I'm attracted to him. Check.
I'm upset when he avoids me. Check.
I like talking to him. Check.
His words affect me. Check.
I like him? ...

"I swear I will give you all the time you want Sandy. I won't even come across you if that's what you prefer. But, just tell me if I can wait. Tell me I'm not running without a destination.Just say one word,one word,heck even some kind of hint that you feel something beyond friendship for me. It's good enough for me. I promise I won't pressurise you until you are ready."

"Wait for me Nikhil",I find myself saying,even though I felt so selfish to say that.

Nikhil apparently didn't take offense,since a full blown smile captures his face.

"Thank you",he smiles softly,patting my arm.

A pat? No kiss?

Shut up,Perv.

I smile, walking away from there before I give in to... certain physical urges.

**

By the time weekend approaches, I find myself wondering how much relationship counsellors make.

"Get your ass out of bed Sandy."

"No way",I declare,"It's the only weekend I've gotten off in some time. I had to beg Dr. Chander for it."

"Exactly. We should do something these two days."

"I am doing something."

"Being in bed is not doing something."

"Who says?"

"Me!"

"You don't count."

"Come on. I'll treat you to ice cream later."

"Where do you want to go?"

Wonder of wonders, Anshu blushes.

"Well?",I smile like a crackpot.

"Shopping for Avyukth's Birthday",she mumbles.

"Why are you blushing like that?",I wonder out loud,"Unless you have something exotic planned",I tease,grinning.

"Shut up!",my best friend turns red.

"Brilliant ",I clap my hands, sitting up,"What are we shopping for? Lingerie? Condoms?Sex to-"

"Shut the hell up ",Anshu pounces on me, making me shriek.

I grin,"Come on. Tell me Anshu."

"Why did I even ask you?"

"Why? You want to directly take Avyukth along and do some trial there?"

I reel in the sadistic pleasure of seeing my best friend at a loss of words, blushing like it was going to be her first time.

"Aww my baby ",I continue,"Come here. Let's do some research."

"Sandy",Anshu whines.

I grumble to myself, letting myself be dragged out of bed,to go shopping.

I'm tired for some reason.

Tell me what you think of the chapter.
Okay, bye.

Precap.
You must have your own reasons. But please... don't give him false hopes.

Guess who.