#6 Safe, Finally

▶️ Hotel California by the Eagles

We're safe. I can't believe it. I don't even know what just happened or why I did what I did.

Why did I do that? What was that thing? Was that the cause of the mall fire?

I hear the sound of rockets and I cover my ears, dropping down into a crouch. But then I get up take a peek out the window and realize they're fireworks.

Why would there be fireworks now? July Fourth was ages ago.

Then it hits me.

It's the 4th of July.

So I did go back in time. I really went back in time, and quite far back too. Everything I did last month, gone in an instant. Not that I did much, mostly took on some odd thief jobs and learned a bit more Italian. I still remember the Italian, thank goodness.

My heart sinks as I look at Billy and my stomach jolts. Billy is passed out on the bed, he doesn't have any lethal wounds (hopefully) but he looks pretty bad and he'll definitely bleed out if I don't do something fast. However, if I don't make the same mistake as last time, I should be able to patch him up. I run into the bathroom and quickly throw up, the nausea fading away as I do.

I feel like crap, but I have to act quickly.

I root around for my stitches kit, blink to my storage unit for my other supplies, and get to work. What have I done? I haven't talked to this boy in over a year and we didn't even date a whole year. What am I doing, why am I doing this?

I let my mind wander for a little bit and then push those thoughts aside. Sure, I might've done something reckless and stupid but I can't waste too much time obsessing over how reckless and stupid it was. The only thought that prevails is: I can't let Billy die again.

I carefully cut away his clothes with my pocket knife, there's so much blood stuck to him they're impossible to just slide off. Every time I see fresh blood, I stop cutting and pulling and start cleaning and stitching.

I find a big, nasty, gash in each of his sides even though I barely let the monster touch him. I sew him up, crying the entire time, hoping I'm not putting too many or too little stitches in him. The wounds are hard to sew because they're not very small, but I stitch what I can and bandage the rest. There's so much blood. I inject him with painkillers and the blue liquid I found inside a top secret scientist lab that's supposed to promote cell growth. I have to pause halfway through to go throw up in the bathroom again, dry heaving because I don't have anything left in my body. Once Billy is stitched up I wrap gauze all around his torso and I blink him onto the bed.

I touch his face slowly and pull back quickly, he's really cold. I check other parts of his body: his hands, his legs, his feet, he's freezing. I wrap him in as many blankets as I can and then I lie down next to him, exhausted. I get a good look at him, he's breathing, which is a good sign. His hair is longer and curlier than I remember. I run my hands through his curly mullet for a second.

I watch him for awhile. He seems to be doing okay.

What have I done? What if he doesn't want me anymore? What if he has a new girl? Why oh why did I do that? Have I rewritten the future? What exactly are the negatives of a time blink...?

Oh no...

Black spots swarm my vision so I close my eyes. The adrenaline is wearing off, I feel the full effect of my blinks.

I pass out.

***

I wake up to something shaking me awake.