#30 Back to Him

▶️ Rhiannon by Fleetwood Mac, play until Seraphina gets off of her motorcycle

Sunset wraps Hawkins in pinks and reds and oranges when I blink back to my house. I move with a purpose, exchanging my dirtied cloak for a leather jacket.

I look at the ruined piece of clothing in disgust, and just throw it away. It was pretty, black with purple roses near the bottom and on the inside. Billy laughed when I got it.

"I didn't know we were going back to the dark ages." He said.

"I like it." I scoffed at him.

I like cloaks. If I put the hood up, it's hard to tell who I am. Makes blinking easy. I have to be careful though, because not too many people wear cloaks out and about, even at night, so I'm fairly easily identifiable. Yet I make a mental note to get another to replace the ruined one.

I walk out the door and hop on my motorbike.

I'm a woman with a mission, my dark jacket will have to cloak me now.

The wind ruffles the part of my hair that sticks out of the helmet as I speed through the now dark streets. The dome of stars looks down on me mysteriously, a few cars dot the streets. Sporadic streetlamps futilely attempt to outshine the stars, but they are no match for the heavenly body above.

I remember how I used to be afraid of the dark when I was a kid, due to the man I knew as "Papa" locking me in a dark hall closet when he was displeased. When I first moved in with Tom, I was scared to sleep at night, so he took me outside. We looked up at the gentle night sky, and he said:

"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. A wise man, Galileo, once said that."

After that, I stopped being afraid of the dark.

The stars, they give me comfort, they give me courage.

I look at the quaint, quiet, houses as I pass, imagining normal families settling down for bed. Parents kissing their children goodnight. Reading bedtime stories. Exchanging "I love you's."

There's still time to save him.

The words of Billy's mom echo through my head.

As I get closer to Billy's house, I am filled with worries.

What if Neil has changed since then? I mean, what if the bullet wound was faked, or Billy's mom did something bad to provoke him?

I take a deep breath to clear my head. I saw the look on her face. That couldn't have been faked.

Even though I only talked with her a little while, I trust her wholeheartedly.

The lights are on at the Hargrove house, and shadows dance inside. I pull my bike up and kill the engine, removing my helmet from my head and balancing it on the handlebars.

I run my hand through my hair quickly, eyes focused on the dancing shadows as I scurry up to the house like a mouse.

Even from out here, I can hear the yelling as a stark contrast against the night's silence. There is never quiet in the Hargrove house.

I ring the doorbell, for lack of a better way to enter.

No response. I hear muffled yelling. I ring again...and a few seconds later, again...and again...

I'm about to ring a fifth time when the door swings open dramatically, frightening me and nearly sending me blinking away to California.

It's Max.