#24 What Comes Next

"Well, basically Billy, for you it's simple." Says Mrs. Wheeler. "You're eighteen right?"

Billy nods.

"Basically, you can do whatever you want. You're an adult. You can leave tomorrow and run away to London." Mrs. Wheeler says, pointing her hand towards me.

"But what about Max, and Susan?" Billy Asks.

"That's going to be the hard part." Says Mrs. Wheeler. "Basically, they have three options. They can pack up and leave, they can get a lawyer involved and Susan can file for a divorce, or they do nothing."

My heart sinks. "That doesn't sound very promising."

"The first option is probably your best bet, the tricky part will be finding a place for them to go." Says Mrs. Wheeler.

"Susan doesn't want to leave him." Says Billy.

"Are you sure?" Mrs. Wheeler asks.

"Yes." Billy looks off into the distance. "After everything happened this evening, I asked Susan if she wanted to come with us and she basically said she wasn't going to leave Neil, she was going to stay and try to 'diffuse the situation' or something. She said it was her battle and we never should've gotten involved.."

"And do you think she can fight the battle?" Asks Mrs. Wheeler.

"I don't know. Knowing my father, I doubt it so we need a backup plan." Says Billy.

I nod at his words.

Mrs. Wheeler's face is contemplative, and she's silent.

She sighs.

"That's going to make things harder. A lot harder. What all are we working with, resource wise?" She asks.

"Well, we have a house down here." I say.

"Susan says all her money is tied up in the marriage with my dad. I don't think she can support her and Max at the moment." Says Billy.

"You have a house?" Mrs. Wheeler asks me.

"Yeah, it's kind of a long story, not important to this one." I say.

The woman shrugs and turns back to Billy.

"Would you consider going back home?"

"What?" He asks.

"No way." I say. Billy squeezes me a little tighter and I grab onto his arm.

"You said you stood up to him today right?" Mrs. Wheeler asks.

"Yeah, one time." Billy frowns.

"But you still did it." I tell Billy. "You are holding power now. Billy, you're in control."

"I know." Mrs. Wheeler frowns. "But...Billy is not the only person you want your plan to protect here."

"Susan and Maxine." Billy pronounces each word slowly and sighs. "So there's nothing we can do?"

"Not really. If we get CPS involved or something then all they'll do is take Maxine away. The only way we can take legal action is if Susan agrees to it." Says Mrs. Wheeler.

"Which she's not going to do." Says Billy.

"You have an advantage right now Billy. You just beat your father at his own game, and you have Maxine." Says Mrs. Wheeler.

Hmm.

"Susan is definitely going to want her back." I look at Billy.

"Maybe we can..." he says thoughtfully.