#14 The Plan

I scare the absolute crap out of Billy when I blink back. He jumps as I teleport into the bedroom.

"Jesus Seraphina!" Billy yells. "Can you knock or something next time?"

"I think your father is hurting Max." I tell him seriously. And Billy's face falls.

"What makes you say that?" He asks gravely.

"She had a black eye, and I couldn't get her to tell me how it happened but it definitely wasn't from her fall today." I say.

Billy yells and throws a pillow across the room. "It has to be him. It was only a matter of time."

I climb up on the bed and pull Billy into my arms.

"What do we do Ser? What do we fucking do?" His face twists up in anger. "I don't think I can take him, Ser, I don't know if I can take him in a fight. He'll kill me."

"We'll figure it out. We can take our time, we can plan." I hold him close and tight, the way he likes it, and I play with his hair.

"She's so young, she's little and she's just a kid." Billy snarls.

"You were young too..." I whisper in reference to when Billy's abuse started.

"Yeah but she's my sister! I'd rather it be me than her. Seraphina, you should've seen how easily she believed me when that thing made me lie to her, you should've heard how she put herself in harm's way to try and stop me, before the monster made me throw her into a wall. And I tried to stop, I tried, but he had control over everything." Billy sounds so broken.

"We're going to help her, B, we just don't know how yet." I run my hands through his curly hair.

"There's that big shadow monster too." I say. "we don't know if it's dead, we don't know what happened to it."

"That girl probably killed it." Billy muses.

"What girl?"

"The girl that hangs out with my sister, she can move shit with her mind and like get inside of your head. She ripped it in half at one point but it regenerated."

"What?!" I ask.

Billy sits up.

"Yeah, she's super weird. That's why I wasn't so shocked about what you told me."

"Billy why didn't you bring this up before?" I ask.

"I did, I told you the little girl got inside my head!"

"I thought you were all drugged up on pain medication and you were crazy talking."

"You rescued me from a giant shadow monster by traveling back in time and teleporting me away and you didn't believe me?"

"I'm sorry baby I really thought it was the meds. You said a lot of things."

We're silent.

"Your sister knows where the girl is?"

"Yeah, they spend time together all the time."

"We really need to get to Hawkins." I say.

"Yeah, but we're going to need a new whip. That motorcycle won't cut it, and my car is destroyed."

"You mean I'm going to have to steal us a car?"

"That would be the best."

"I can't just blink a car into Hawkins."

"Oh." Billy looks downcast. I know how important appearances are to him.

I kiss Billy's head. "But I can find a place to blink it outside of Hawkins."