#11 We're Going to That Party

▶️ 1999 by Prince

I've got on a tight burgundy leather minidress with a white belt around the middle, fishnet stockings, and boots. I have a leather jacket thrown on over the top and fingerless gloves. I put a black bow in my curly hair. I do my eye makeup dramatic and put on red lipstick. When I step back from the mirror I'm happy with my look. 

I walk out of my bathroom and I look around for him. I find him in the other guest bathroom, where he started getting ready, and he's still getting ready. He has a similar leather jacket on and a wine colored button down that has only three buttons done so a lot of his chest is exposed. He's wearing his earring that looks like a dagger, rings, and a chain around his neck. He's wearing tight blue jeans with a big belt and biker boots. His hair is styled to perfection. 

He is so hot.

"Hey pretty boy, still getting ready?" I swoon.

"Just finished." He gives me that winning smile and takes a drag from his cigarette.

He offers it to me and I take a drag.

I hand the cigarette back, then I reach up to his ear and take his earring out. "You don't want to have this in if you're going to get into a fight tonight."

Billy scoffs. "I'll be fine."

"Billy."

"Okay, okay, okay, but you have to take yours out if you're going to help me."

"Help you? If you start a fight I am not 'helping you.'" I protest.

"I'm just kidding." Billy rolls his eyes. "Don't be so uptight."

"Asshole." I mutter under my breath.

"What?" He leans in.

"Nothing." I say, scrunching my nose up.

We both look in the mirror at each other.

"You ready?" He asks.

"I'm ready." I say.

Billy looks me up and down.

"What?" I ask.

"You're missing something." He says.

I look in the mirror, confused.

"Billy, what?"

"Here." Billy starts to take off his Saint Christopher medallion and I'm silent, letting him put it on me. We lock eyes in the mirror as he fastens it around my neck.

"Billy..." I say softly.

"That's a thank you." He holds my reflected gaze. "For saving my life."

I look down at the necklace and hold it gently in my fingers.

"You want me to have it?" I ask.

"Yes." Billy says.

"Whenever I saw one of these I would think of you." I tell Billy, looking back up at him. "I love it, thank you."

"Maybe it will protect you like it's protected me." He muses.

I smile at him and he smiles back.

"Let's go own this party." He says with a raising of his chin and a flash of his teeth.

*

We roll up to the party on my motorcycle, Billy driving of course. It's dark and the sound of the music and the bass resonates through the night. All the lights are on. Lorraine's house is exactly how I remember it: huge.