#27 Landslide

▶️ Landslide by Fleetwood Mac

When we come back, I no longer hold my head up high. I look at the ground. Neil greets us with a smile and Billy says "okay."

He holds out his hand and him and his father shake.

"If I ever see you around Billy again, or if anyone sees you around him or Maxine, you're dead." Neil threatens and I just nod politely.

"Neil!" Susan puts her hand over her mouth.

"Dad!" Billy defensively steps closer to me.

"A deal is a deal huh?" Neil looks at me.

"A deal is a deal." I look up to Neil for a second, trying to stop from tearing up. I get the message. I'll stop.

Susan looks at me with pity, and I don't care enough to challenge her stare.

"Now go get Maxine." Neil says.

Susan forgets about me and perks up at the mention of her daughter, walking over to Neil and wrapping her thin hands around his arm, leaning her head on his shoulder.

Like I'd do with Billy.

"Come on Ser-aphina." Billy stumbles over my name as if he's not used to saying it. And he isn't. He never calls me by my full name.

We walk silently out of the house, and around the block, then when we're not visible anymore we blink back to my house. Maxine is waiting for us with her new skateboard in hand. She jumps out of her skin when we come back.

She looks at our somber faces and her own hopeful face fades away.

"It didn't work did it?"

Billy and I exchange a glance and both of us try and put on faux happy faces for the young redhead.

"It worked Maxine, we're going home." Billy says with a half smile.

Max squeals and runs over to Billy, not even caring that he used her full name, and gives him a hug.

"We can go home!" She repeats as she runs over to me and wraps her arms around my middle as well. "We can go home!"

"Yeah." I rub her back slowly. "You can go home."

"Well, what are we waiting for? Let's go?" Max can barely contain her excitement.

Billy looks at me sadly. "It's okay." I mouth to him.

Billy nods.

"Stick to the plan." He says.

"Stick to the plan." I echo.

The three of us bunch close, Max looks up at me with her big eyes. "Are you going to blink now?" She asks.

"Eyes closed sweetheart." I brush my hand over her face and she closes her eyes. I look at Billy and he's had his eyes closed, his face is scrunched up and he's grimacing, preparing himself.

I blink us to the spot we've been going to, and Max practically starts running towards the house once she gains her bearings.

"Slow down Maxine!" Billy yells.

He looks at me and I get one last kiss, one last glance into his soulful blue eyes before he jogs off towards his sister.

There I stand, on the sidewalk, alone, watching Billy and Max run off. Hoping our plan will work, hoping that someday I can come back.

Eternally grateful for the time I've gotten to spend with him.

With my Billy.

*