#17 Too Young to Fall in Love

▶️ Too Young To Fall in Love by Motley Crue

Flashback

Billy and I are both so passionate, we got into fights in high school. A lot. Most of them involved us yelling at each other and me crying, although I held my ground pretty well. I didn't take much shit from Billy: I had low patience and no time for routine pettiness.

*

There's a crowd gathered in the middle of the hallway. No one knows how they got there really, that's the magic of public school. One moment they weren't there, the next they were. There's a crowd gathered in the hallway, and they're watching a lovers quarrel with hushed whispers and pointing fingers. There's a crowd gathered in the middle of the hallway, and they are definitely keeping their distance, because they know what Billy Hargrove is capable of when he's angry. And they know the fire and fury his girlfriend, Seraphina, possesses. And they know how quickly she can fan his flames, piss him off, and make him rage. They know how quickly his words can make her angrier, icer, more emotional. They know that if it gets bad enough she'll cry. And they know that he won't care. And neither really, will she.

*

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" I shove Billy up against the locker and he shoves me away from him.

"What's your problem?" He gets in my face and growls.

I can smell him, the smell of cigarettes is strong, he's been smoking a lot. He's been stressed.

Insecure ass.

"Bloody hell, is this what it takes to get you to talk to me." I snarl. "Violence? Is that all you respond to?"

"Well I'm listening now!" He yells.

"What is wrong with you?" I push him but he doesn't move.

"I'm asking you!"

Silence.

"Fine. I'll go first. You don't trust me." I say.

"What? That's bullshit." Billy sneers.

"Oh yeah, then why are you moping around like someone scratched the paint job on your Chevy?" I look him in the eye and try to stand up straight and make myself look as menacing as possible. It's kind of hard, I don't do a very good job because I'm almost a foot shorter than him and forty pounds lighter.

"Because you were flirting with Dale Winchester!" He spits the words out like they're poison.

"Oh so that proves my fucking point!" I turn in a circle and then circle back to Billy.

"And what's that princess?" Billy says in his low drawl.

"That you don't trust me!" I say coldly.

"I do too."

"Do not!"

"You know what Hargrove, it would've been great if you could have...you know...told me about this, about you feeling this way!" I poke his chest with my finger.

"Oh, I'm sorry I don't have award winning communication skills like you, Thompson!" Billy swats my hand away.

"Okay everyone let's just take a nice big breath." Interjects Lorraine in her airy voice. She pantomimes an inhaling motion.

"Shut up Lorraine!" Billy and I yell in unison.

I'll make it up to her later.

"He's my project partner!" I say to Billy as calmly as I can manage, although I'm shaking.