#23 To the Wheeler's

I get in the drivers seat because Billy's face is all jacked up. My heart is pounding.

"You're still handsome to me, B." I kiss his temple. El and Max embrace in the backseat and cry.

"Babe, I can drive." Billy insists.

"How many fingers am I holding up?" I hold up three fingers.

"Five." Billy says in total confidence.

"I'm definitely driving." I start the car.

"Where do we go now?" Max asks through her tears.

"I...I don't know." I frown.

What did you think was going to happen dumbass? Did you think, did you hope that Billy's dad would be happy to see him?

"Lets go to our house." Says Billy.

"Billy you're all beat up." Says Max.

"I've been beat up before." Billy scoffs. "Ser you can clean me up, right?"

"Of course I can clean you up, that's not the problem." I say. "We need to figure out what to do about your dad, especially since Susan won't leave him."

"We need a lawyer or something." Says Max. "My mom says she got a lawyer when she divorced my dad because he didn't want to pay child support."

"I don't know if we need a lawyer." I say to Max.

"We need someone to tell us if we need a lawyer or not?" Asks El.

"You want to tell someone else about this?" Billy scoffs. "No way.

"Billy." I say. "Your father is not a good man. If we enable this, if you enable this, when you're gone and out of the house, Susan and Max could be in a very bad position. We can run away. Hell, we can go anywhere. California, London, you name it. But we can't take Max with us."

Billy looks out the window. "I guess you're right."

"Susan said money is a problem. It isn't for us." I tell him. "We can help them, but we don't want Neil chasing after them."

"Which he will." Billy grumbles.

"Whoa are you rich or something?" Max asks with wide eyes.

"Max!" Says Billy.

"What, it was just a question?"

I smile from behind the steering wheel.

"Mike." Says El.

"What?"

"Mike, you remember Mike."

"Yea." I say.

"Mrs. Wheeler will know what to do." Says Max.

A stranger.

My blood chills. "No, I don't think we need to go somewhere we'll be fine going back to the house."

"We need help!" Says Max.

"Says who?" I ask.

"What now?" Asks El.

For some reason, that simple question hits me hard. What now?

We go to my house and then do what? Kidnap Max and take her to California? Kill Neil? We're in a bind.

I groan and bury my face in my hands. "B I think we need help. What are we going to do?"

I turn to Max. "What can Mrs. Wheeler do for us? Is she trustworthy?"

"She is Mike's mom. She is good. She knows Billy." Says El.

"Nancy is an investigative reporter." Says Max.