32

The last forest trees passed us, as we reached the village. I was quite nervous, as this would be my first interaction with the townspeople of Nordfjord and I hope they would accept me as their future queen.

We got off our horses as numerous families welcomed us with open hands. Kids who were playing moments ago stopped to see these strangers, men greeted their King and the guards, while the women welcomed me with open arms.

We all gathered at the main hall and watched as the women prepared us a welcoming feast. Nathaniel was swept away from the older men and I found myself alone.

I wanted to help the women in the kitchen, but they forbade me from entering as it would be an insult to their hospitality. I decided to walk around the village and greet some new faces.

A few moments later I heard a whisper and quiet sobs. I became alert and walked towards the owner of those cries. I saw a small figure huddled behind a bush as the child's shoulder shook.

"Hi there, what is the matter? Why is a beautiful girl shedding tears?"

I spoke in a soft voice as the young girl, as the young child gasped at my voice. I smiled softly, hoping I hadn't scared her. She wiped her tears away from her chubby cheeks and tucked her blond hair behind her ears.

"The older kids did not let me play. They said I'm too young and bad at it. How can I be better when I'm not given a chance?"

"You are a very smart girl, do you know that? Well, would you like to play with me?"

"You will play with me? Yes, what are we going to play?"

"I will show you in a second. Now I need a thick stick and a sandy place. Do you think you can show me such a setting?"

"Yes, here is a stick and there is a place behind my house. Let's go!"

She said excitedly as we began walking towards the little girl's home. She held the skirt of my dress and tugged it lightly, as I sent her a questioning glance.

"What is your name?"

"My name is Avani. What is yours?"

"My name is Elizabeth, but you can call me Eli."

"That's a beautiful name, Eli."

"Thank you. I- I like your name too, Avani."

I chuckled at her shy state, as she rubbed her tiny hands on her cheeks to hide the blush. Her footsteps ceased as I saw the sandy terrain.

Bending down, I drew squares with the stick in different patterns. This is a game I vividly remember playing with my mother as a young girl. I felt my heart flutter at the thought of playing it again after more than a decade.

She waited patiently until I finished carving the lines and picked up a medium-sized rock. I turned around with a mischievous smile as she looks at me in confusion.

"Are you ready to play this game, Eli?"

"How do I play it?"

"I will throw the rock within the circle and you will have to reach for it, but can only be in the squares. If you step outside of it, then you would have to try again."

After a couple of tries, Eli got the hang of the game and I felt myself being drifted to my childhood memories. I missed my mother, but I no longer yearn to be with her, not so soon anyway. She is happy with her husband, as I am with mine.

I heard the crack of a stick and saw a little boy hiding behind the house. He noticed that I saw him, and came towards Eli and me. His eyes wandered to her playing the game and in an instant, I understood he was interested in playing too.