20

I want to thank all of you for your support and feedbacks. We reached pretty important milestones, from reading 1k reads, 100 votes, and being at the top 5, 10, 20, and 50 of several major categories.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up feeling an emptiness beside me. With my eyes still closed, I stretched my arm to pat around myself, just to find the empty mattress. Opening my eyes, I see the left side of the bed crinkled and cold, making me wonder of my husband's whereabouts.

I decide to get ready for the day, taking a quick bath and dressing myself into these tight dresses. Over the days, I finally learned to adorn northerner clothes and jewellery.

Waking out of our chamber, I see two guards walking by along with a few maids. I hurriedly reach for them and stop one of the guards.

"Where is King Nathaniel?"

"Your majesty, the King had to bid farewell before dawn as a problem arose at a nearby kingdom. I believe he will return in a few weeks."

"Very well. Thank you."

He bows and leaves as I was left in my own thoughts. Why would Nathan leave without saying anything to me? He could have at least woken me up or left a note.

I walked towards the dining room, hoping the food would release me from my thoughts. If I dwindled more into it, then I will be the one to go haywire. The maids poured some juice, along with bread and churned milk, which they refer to as butter here.

One of the maids stayed by my side silently and I began to look at her questionably. She held out a folded piece of paper while bowing her head down.

"Your majesty, the King has left you a letter before his departure."

She sounded very scared and timid, much like my old self. I hated feeling so superior and people fearing me. I felt like my stepfamily, someone I never wish to be.

"Thank you for the letter and please do not be afraid of me. What is your name?"

"Arabella, your highness."

"Well Arabella, please call me Avani."

"I apologize, but if anyone heard a maid like myself calling a queen like you by your name I will lose my job."

"Very well, but maybe when we are alone, we can forget about these titles."

She nods her head at the compromise before giving a smile and leaving me to read the letter in peace. I opened the letter, seeing the neat handwriting of my husband.

"Dear beloved Avani,

An emergency has occurred and my presence was needed at a neighbouring kingdom. I am sure you have investigated that on your own. Anyways, as much as I wanted to wake you up to bid farewell, seeing you sleep so soundlessly, I did not have the heart to disturb your slumber. I am sure you were tired and breathless after yesterday's activities.

I will be back in a few weeks, solving this issue as soon as possible to be reunited with my dear wife. Until then, take care of yourself and do not fret over me.

Yours truly, Nathaniel."

For a man who uses his hand to wield swords, I did not expect his handwriting to be so flawless. For a man who claims to be heartless, he wrote the most loving letter. I smile down at the letter losing track of time, remembering the mind-blowing kiss we shared. I saw a shadow snatch the letter from my hand and I stood up in shock.

My mother in law was there reading the letter my husband privately wrote to me. I couldn't utter a word in her degrading behaviour and stood still as her face morphed into one of disgust.

She nods her head at one of the guards before I felt them grabbing my hands and placing them behind my back. I winced in pain and my face morphed into one of shock and disapproval.

"What are you doing?! Let me go this instant!"

The grip on my hand loosened for a second until Nathaniel's mother nodded her head at them while giving a deathly stare.

I felt myself being thrust forward as the guards dragged me into the long hall, towards a stairwell as we descended down. My protests fell deaf to their ears and I felt my eyes tear up in frustration and humiliation.

Several of the guards and maids watched silently as their Queen was being put in prison, for crime that is unknown.

I felt myself being released and thrown into the ground by the guards. The hay scratched my elbows as I hissed in pain. I looked up to see the door close and my mother-in-law standing there along with the two guards.

"Why have you imprisoned me? I am guilty of nothing and I'm sure Nathaniel will not be pleased with imprisoning his wife."

"You are a cheat and a liar! I am sure my son will be more than fine with what I have done."

"How am I a liar?"

"You were meant to consummate your marriage yesterday, yet the maids found no bloodstain on your bed. This means you are not a virgin. My son will only have a queen who is pure, not a whore like you."

I felt my blood boil at her statement and embarrassment at the maids for checking something so personal like that.

"We are not ready to consummate our marriage and decided to wait as there is no rush. It would also be wise if you don't refer to me as a whore anymore."

"That is a lie. The maids heard your noise of pleasure and this letter clearly indicated otherwise. My son will not be pleased with his wife threatening his mother."

"We merely shared a passionate kiss, nothing more. My husband will not be pleased with his mother mistreating his wife."

I angrily spoke back. I did not have to explain my private doings with my husband to anyone, yet I'm left in a situation where I have no other option.

"A husband and wife cannot just share a passionate kiss on their bed and not consummate their marriage. I've heard enough of your lies."

With that she leaves along with the guards, ignoring my protests and pleas. I heard the door shut and the room darkens immediately. The only light was shone was from a small barred window.

I felt a sense of déjàvu and slid down the wall onto the floor. I felt so hopeless and weak again, the repair I made, I've had the past few weeks breaking once again.

I felt the salty tears on my lip as I let out a sob for my misfortune. I thought I would lead a happy life after marriage, but now that seems unlikely.

I found myself drained of energy after having that breakdown and was drifting to unconsciousness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's official, I hate the mother in law and poor Avani. What do you think is going to happen to Avani?