12

It has been sixteen days since I opened a fraction of my past to Nathaniel. After he walked out through the door without saying anything, he hasn't spoken to me since.

I thought our relationship would progress after I told the truth, but it seemed to worsen. He would avoid me at all costs in this ship and I decided to make his life easier by spending most of my time in my chamber.

I wasn't complaining as I got to read various books and draw many portraits of the sea. Tommy would come occasionally and we would play some games, but other than that my day was quite boring.

I couldn't blame Nathaniel for ignoring me, as our situation was quite complicated. Other than the doctor who healed my wound, Nathaniel and myself were the only ones who knew of the escape and the disgraced marking etched on my forearm.

If anyone else were to know, despite being the wife of a powerful King, I would still be punished. Although we never talked in these few weeks, he kept my secret to himself and for doing that alone I felt eternally grateful.

The doctor came to check occasionally and from that I learned that I was unconscious for nearly three days. My cuts are now healed, although a scar is evident. Luckily, other than some nightgowns, the other dresses covered my arms.

At the rate of which we are travelling, I vividly remember the captain stating that we will reach Nordfjord in four days' time. I wasn't sure whether to feel anxious, scared, or excited.

I was hoping to ask my husband about his Kingdom, but now it seems to be a nearly impossible task. I saw him only twice in these two weeks and haven't uttered a word to him since.

I decide to leave my chamber and ask Tommy about my husband's Kingdom. Although we are travelling north, the midday sun seems to be shining brightly. The weather got a bit cooler, but it was still tolerable.

I walk around the deck, breathing in the fresh salty air. It felt therapeutic in a way and so calming. I searched for Tommy nearly everywhere and couldn't find him.

"Excuse me, do you know where Tommy is at the moment?"

"I believe I saw that lad walking down that hallway a few moments ago, Your Highness. Shall I summon him to you?"

"There is no need. Thank you-?"

"Harolf Clenkin, Princess Avani."

I found it odd that he referred to me as princess although I married his king. I shook it off before nodding my head in gratitude before walking down that direction.

I heard some hushed voices, but they were clearly arguing. One belonged to my new friend, Tommy while the other belonged to my husband. It felt refreshing to hear his deep rich voice after so many days.

"Nathan, you cannot do this to her!"

"She is not ready yet for such a position. I am your king and I know what I'm doing."

"She is your equal! Avani is the only person fit for that role."

"I am her husband and I know her best. This is the end of the discussion. I know what is best for Nordfjord and for now it is not this. I expect you to not disclose this discussion to Avani or there would be consequences. You are a young man now, not just a boy Tommy."

I knew they were talking about me, but wasn't sure of what. I tried to figure it out, but my brain seemed to explode at the endless possibilities.

Nathaniel doesn't know me best, nobody does except for myself. He didn't even listen to me when I shared my pains and completely ignored them. He may be my husband, but he knows little about me compared to the maids of Alasia.

"I understand, King Nathaniel."

The was an edge and distaste in the tone that Tommy used. If Nathaniel was not like his older brother, I'm sure he would have had his tongue cut out for that.

"Watch your tone, Tommy."

I felt footsteps near me and although I wanted to move away, I seemed to be frozen. My friend and husband looked up at me in shock. I expected Nathaniel to be angry at me for eavesdropping, but instead he held a look of guilt.

"I was searching for you Tommy. One of the crew men mentioned that you were walking in this direction. I apologize, I didn't mean to listen to your discussion."

"It's fine, isn't it, your Majesty."

"I suppose."

With an angered expression Nathaniel left swiftly. I felt his arm touch my own and those sparks returned, although at the moment I hated them.

The tension between those two was still evident and seemed quite suffocating. Tommy still remained on his spot as his face was red in anger.

"Tommy, I know the discussion was about me, but please don't fight Nathaniel about it. He has his reasons and I believe he is doing what is best for his Kingdom."

"Avani, you don't understand! I wish I could tell you, but I can't. What did you want to talk about anyways?"

"I was wondering if you can tell me about Nordfjord. We are to arrive there in a few short days and I would appreciate it if you can tell me of my new home."

Talking about his homeland simmered down the anger in Tommy, as he talked about his home with love. I've never seen him so enthusiastic and animated.

"Nordfjord is truly beautiful. Half the year the weather is warm and beautiful, but the other half it is cold and brutal. Despite that, it's still quite beautiful; the snow, flowers, harvests."

"Snow? What is this snow?"

"I believe you don't have snow in Alasia. The climate seems to be too warm there. Snow is these white fluffy drops that fall from the sky. We can make balls with it or build a man. It is similar to sand, except it is cold and can melt away quite quickly."

"Oh, I see. I'm quite excited to see snow."

"Well you are lucky, as I believe the winter season is about to begin."

We walked around the ship as Tommy talked about his home. He talks about his family; his brother, sister in law, and recently born nephew. I was excited to meet them and hopefully befriend them. They seemed just as lovely as him.

"Oy Tommy, the captain needs you!"

We whipped our heads around to see a man with red hair fall out for Tommy. He seems quite surprised to see me as well, before bowing down to show respect.

I was still quite uncomfortable with such formalities, but I knew that it would be part of my daily life now. I need to get used to them soon, in order to be a respectable royal.

"Well, it seems I summarized most of Nordfjord to you. I'll be back soon. Try not to miss me too much, Avani."

I laugh at his cheeky smile as I watch him run towards the captain. I never really had a friend growing up and now I felt truly grateful to have one.

"Your highness, the king summons you to his chamber."