19

Nathaniel sat on the head of the table, while I sat to his right-hand side and his mother sat to the opposite of me. Most of the guards, including his right-hand man, Killian sat on the long table with us.

The food was served, as I felt nervous to eat northerner food for the first time. I was unaware of their dining rules and the last thing I need is to make myself a fool.

Nathan grabbed my plate as he served some food on it, before giving me a comforting smile. Following his lead, I ate with the utensils that were laid in front of me.

It tasted quite different from Alasian food, it was definitely more filling and had a different flavour. Rather than spice, it was salty and savoury. I wanted to learn how to cook this food to surprise my husband one day and teach our children.

As the last piece of food was taken, everyone prepared themselves for the night. The maids gathered the dirty dishes and for a second my mind flashed back to when I was in their position.

"Now, I believe there is a marriage to consummate. Rumour has spread of your maintained virtue, dear Avani and I believe there is no better time than now at your husband's home. The maids have prepared your chamber. Hurry on then."

I felt my cheeks turn crimson as she blankly spoke of my virtue in front of these men. I always believed it to be something private between a husband and wife, not for the whole kingdom. Sensing my unease, Nathan took my hand in his and stood up.

"Mother, what happens in the chamber is between my wife and me only. We will take rest now."

We walked off, as I felt my heart beating. My mother-in-law held the same intent as my stepfamily, to ruin me. I thought I can live my life happily again, but now that seems nearly impossible.

Once we were out of the listening range of others, Nathaniel paused his movements and cupped my face while uttering my name.

"Avani, It is a ritual for the King and his new bride to share a bed on the first night they arrive at Nordfjord. It symbolizes the strength in their marriage and ruling the kingdom."

"Of course, it won't be the first time we shared a bed anyways."

I replied, hoping to ease the tension. Although he could see right through me he gave a gentle smile before opening the doors.

I look in astonishment at the room. The windows were small but scattered. In the centre was a large one that was closed off to keep the cool night wind away. There was a large mirror and desk. Beside that was a closet filled with both my clothes and Nathaniel's.

"How do you like the room?"

"The architecture is amazing. It's perfect."

"Well, I'm glad you like it, as I believe most of our cherished time as man and wife will be in here."

He came towards me and wrapped his arms around my waist as I laid my head into his solid chest. I sighed in relief, forgetting the inevitable drama that occurred today and most likely in the future.

"Why don't we get some rest. We have a long day ahead tomorrow."

He said as he stripped out of his clothes until he was in nothing but his shorts and got under the blanket. His legs were covered by the plush material, while his naked chiselled chest was out on display.

I removed my clothing and put on my nightgown in the closet out of his sight. I walk out to see him closing his eyes, but not quite asleep yet.

I climb onto the bed and let out a satisfied sigh at the soft material. It felt like I was sleeping on clouds. I got under the warm blankets and laid my head on my husband's chest.

"Why are you staring at me, Avani?"

"Are you not mine to stare, dear husband?"

"Well, then you are mine to kiss, dear wife."

I looked deep into his blue eyes as he did the same to my own brown ones. I felt a sense of security and this comforting feeling flowed through my veins.

I wrapped my arm around his neck as he climbed on top of me and crashed his lips onto mine. His tongue thrust into my mouth as we fought for dominance until he won. I felt myself get out of breath, as his lips moved to my jaw and collarbone. I moaned in pleasure but froze when I felt something hard poking my thigh.

Sensing my statue-like composure, Nathan got down and laid beside me on the bed. I felt guilty for ruining that moment and couldn't even face him.

"Avani, look at me."

I hesitantly complied with his request and looked into his eyes, searching for disappointment or anger, but all I found was understanding and love. Love? Although we are husband and wife, we have only met a few weeks ago. Can it be love already?

"I'm sorry Nathaniel. I don't know what overcame me, I got scared."

"There is nothing to apologize for. We will make love when you are ready. I will wait until the end of time for that."

His finger ran on my cheekbones as I smiled in relief and happiness. I don't remember ever feeling this happy in my life before. Maybe this is what love is, the spark, the sense of security, and the caring attitude I feel when I'm with him.

I wrapped my arm around his midriff and shifted my head to sleep on his chest. His fingers played with my hair, as his other hand was on my waist when I felt myself drifting into unconsciousness. I fell asleep with my last thought being that I fell in love with my husband.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As promised, here is a bonus chapter. Tysm for 200 reads in 24 hours. Please continue to like and comment with your thoughts and feedback.