21

As promised Married to the Northerner reached more than 200 likes so here's the next chapter

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been exactly three days since I've been locked in this cell in isolation. The sun has come up and gone down three times since my imprisonment. The nights are cold, my only warmth is from my dress and body heat. It seemed to have snowed again for the past few days, and that did not help my situation.

I was given a piece of dry bread and a cup of water a day, with a waste bucket in the corner. I lost count of the times I cried for my misfortune and for the longing of my husband.

He would not want me now, he would now see that I am nothing but a weak princess who cannot even defend herself. This is not only humiliating for me, but also him, for his bride is imprisoned in his own kingdom.

My only visitors were the guards who came to give food and the rats that scurry around the floor. I haven't bathed in so long and I felt so dirty and impure.

I doubt that Nathaniel knew of the events that transpired in the castle and I doubt I can survive another few weeks here. The lack of food, warmth, and hygiene will surely kill me in a few weeks.

I heard the kids playing in the snow, while dogs barked, and the stable horses neighed. They were all so joyous, not knowing that their Queen is trapped. The only people who knew were my mother in law of course and a few guards.

I heard the clatter of hooves and someone barking orders in the distance. I looked out the window to see anything, but just saw a flash of streak through the tiny barred window as the rider disappeared.

I felt tears roll down my eyes at the twinge of hope. I imagined it to be my husband, but who would even tell him of this event.

A few moments later I heard the door open with a loud thud and footsteps race down the stairs. As much as I wanted to check who it was, my frail condition did not allow me to move much. Despite my body's protection, I crawled a bit and saw a shadow of a large figure.

The lock to the cell snapped open and I flinched back in fright, as the sunlight shone on my frantic husband's face. He had a look of guilt, sadness, and relief.

I couldn't control myself as I flew to his hold and hugged him tight and cried. I sobbed for the comfort I yearned, for protection, for finally being together with the man I love.

He arms wrapped around my tiny body as his fingers combed through my tangled hair. He shushed me lightly while kissing the top of my head. I'm sure I smelled awful and looked equally awful, but I could care less.

I felt him cup my face and tilt it back as he analyzed me. His eyebrows scrunched up as a look of anger took over his face. He looked at my eyes, as his face softened before wiping the tears with the pad of his thumb.

"Let's get you out of here."

He stood up, holding his arm out to raise me, when my knees buckled. I looked down ashamed, that I couldn't even walk properly. His face was stoic, although pain travelled through his eyes.

He wrapped his arm under my legs before carrying me bridal style up the dungeon. We walked through the hallway and I ignored the shock looks of the maids and guards who were not involved with my imprisonment.

He placed me in the bathing chamber of our room and disrobed next from the dress that was now in rags. Nathan carried me into the warm water and I sighed in relief. The ache in my body, especially my back from sleeping on the rock hard floor was slowly disappearing and the stickiness left.

Dirt, pieces of hay, and mud were visible in the now murky water, as Nathaniel washed my hair. We haven't uttered a word, letting the silence envelop us. I couldn't take it any more and called his name and he did the same.

"Nathaniel."

"Avani."

A moment of silence passed, figuring out who shall speak first. I heard his comforting voice, although there was regret and sadness in it as he uttered my name.

"I'm sorry, Avani. I should have not left you here, especially with my mother's suspicious behaviour. I knew she disliked you, but would never imagine her to lock up my wife."

"Nathaniel, it is not your fault so please don't apologize. I am just thankful you are here now. Your arrival was not expected for the next few weeks, how did you come here so soon and know about this? Only a handful of the guards who are loyal to your mother knew of my imprisonment."

"Killian's wife was about to introduce herself to you that morning, when she overheard the conversation with my mother. She knew she couldn't stop it on her own, so she sent a letter immediately for my call. I got it the next day and came here as quickly as I could."

"I need to meet her soon and thank her. If it wasn't for her, I would-"

I ended up in sobs, all I was able to think of was my traumatic experience being locked up in Alasia. Thankfully nothing as horrendous happened here, but it triggered that part of my past that I tried to forget.

Nathaniel's large hands wrapped around me as he rubbed his arm up and down my bare back. My sobs seized with his comforting hold as I looked into his eyes.

I finished bathing, the once clear water filled with mud and dirt. I stood up and towel dried my body before putting on a nightgown and robe. Nathan walked me to our bed and I snuggled inside the blanket, needing that warmth and comfort.

He laid sideways and ran his fingers through my now wet hair, detangling the knots on the way. I closed my eyes, although I couldn't fall back to sleep.

"Did my mother tell you why she imprisoned you?"

I felt too embarrassed to tell the truth, but I knew I couldn't lie about it. It would only worsen the situation.

"Your mother mistook our passionate kiss for making love. The maids did not see blood stains on the sheets and she assumed I was not a virgin and that I lied to you before our marriage."

"How would she know of our kiss?"

"She heard noises of pleasure from our room and read the letter you wrote to me. I tried to tell her that her assumptions were wrong, but she fell deaf to my words."

"Why don't you take a much needed rest right now. We will take care of this problem tomorrow."

I felt his body leave the bed as I took hold of his hand.

"Please stay. I can't be alone for another moment."

He nodded his head, as sorrow and guilt took over his features. He laid down and wrapped his arm around me as I did the same. I know I may have sounded pathetic, but I needed him more now than ever. With his comforting hold I found myself going to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fun Fact: I started writing this book when I was unable to find historical romance stories in first person POV on Wattpad. I read a few, but for the most part I noticed the majority of historical stories are written in third person POV.