Chapter 1: Crybaby

AHSOKA TANO-BONTERI

Ahsoka awoke early in the morning to a noise that was now all too familiar:

A baby crying.

Of course, she had heard this noise many times before. The New Jedi Order had scooped up many a young child, such as Ezra Bridger. Ahsoka always had a thing for dealing with babies.

But this was her baby crying.

In the few months since the birth of Aletta Bonteri, Ahsoka had to constantly deal with her child.

While easily calmed by the presence of her mother, Aletta sometimes put up a fuss in the middle of the night.

Ahsoka sat up in her bed, and Lux moaned beside her.

"'Letta's throwing a fuss again," Lux groaned.

"I got it," Ahsoka said.

She ran over to the crib, and picked up the crying child.

"There," Ahsoka said in a sweet, motherly voice. "I'm here. Now let's get you something to eat."

While Aletta was at the tail end of her "crying-in-the-middle-of-the-night" phase, it was still a few weeks before babies would normally stop doing so.

Ahsoka walked over to and opened the cabinet which contained the baby food. She opened a bottle of the food and began feeding it to Aletta, along with some milk.

Aletta soon calmed down, and Ahsoka put her back in bed as her baby daughter slid back into sleep.

Ahsoka laid in her bed, Lux still half-asleep beside her.

"I just want to sleep for kriff's sake," Lux moaned.

"Well," Ahsoka said, "This is what we signed up for when we got a child. At least we know what to do by now."

"Go back to bed," Lux said.

"Okay," Ahsoka complied.

Ahsoka woke up again next to Lux, who was still asleep. Aletta was still asleep as well.

She smiled, thinking about how precious her family was.

Lux, her husband and (oddly enough) Jedi Padawan, had come so far from being the dumb Onderonian boy she had met on Raxus. He grew more handsome and strong by the day, and Ahsoka was extremely lucky to have him, especially given how much they both lost to the Clone Wars and the Empire.

And Aletta, their newborn daughter, was certain to grow up to be much like her parents. They had already taken a blood test to determine if she was force-sensitive, and the test came back positive. Of course, this was hardly a surprise given that both her parents were force-sensitive. 

Ahsoka was so excited to live her life with her daughter. From her first word, to her building her lightsaber, to her eventual ascendancy to Jedi Knighthood, she looked forward to being with her every step of the way.

But that didn't stop her from fearing the worst.

If Ahsoka died, then her daughter would be left without her mother. And there was always the thought of losing Aletta to the Dark Side. That thought absolutely terrified Ahsoka. And what if something happened to Lux, too?

It had occurred to her that she had never thought about Lux turning to the Dark Side, but such a probability seemed extremely improbable, given how sweet her husband was. Then again, she had thought the same way about her master, and she knew very well what had happened to him.

Kriff, if any of the New Jedi Order's members turned to the Dark Side, they were as good as toast.

Ahsoka banished those thoughts completely from her mind and focused instead on what good she would do for Aletta. She would grow up to be beautiful. While still a hybrid, and essentially just being a Togruta with human hair instead of montrails and lekku, several species were just essentially off-brand humans, so it really didn't matter. In fact, her orange skin and facial markings may make her even more beautiful. All she would have to do was wait.

Ahsoka sat up in her bed and got out. There was much work to be done for the future ahead of her.