Chapter 7: A (Normal) Vision of Grief

AHSOKA TANO-BONTERI

Ahsoka.

Ahsoka opened her eyes to try and find where she was. She was standing in some kind of stone cave, with some writings in the Old Tongue carved on to the walls, a language spoken by several ancient civilizations.

Ahsoka.

It was the voice of her former master, Anakin Skywalker.

Ahsoka, why?

"No," she said, clasping her montrails, the equivalent of a human covering their ears.

Why did you leave me?

"I'm not listening!" She pleaded.

You could have saved me!

"I can't undo the past," she said, "I can't change your fate, leave me alone!"

You failed me!

She could practically sense his presence behind her. She clenched her eyes shut, knowing she may not like what she saw, if she saw anything.

YOU FAILED ME!!!

Instead of being Anakin's voice, those last few words were Vader's.

She heard the sounds of mechanical breathing from behind her, and she heard his lightsaber igninte.

"No," she said.

She heard the saber moving, knowing that he was striking her down.

"NO!!!"

Ahsoka bolted upright in her bed.

Consequentially, she woke Lux and Aletta, the latter of which started crying.

"Another nightmare?" Lux asked groggily.

He was used to Ahsoka having a vision or nightmare in the middle of the night, and her being abruptly awoken. Between that and Aletta's nighttime fits, he barely ever got any sleep.

"Yeah," Ahsoka replied. "Ever since the Empire came to power, you know, these dreams have just been... regular occurrences."

"Do you ever think they mean something?" Lux asked.

"I'm almost afraid to find out," she replied. "Here, I'll take care of Aletta."

She walked over to Aletta's crib, picked her up, and rocked her in her arms, singing the lullaby.

Aletta calmed down almost instantaneously, and she soon fell asleep. Ahsoka put her back into the crib.

"I still can't get over your singing," Lux said. "It's so gourgeous."

"I'm surprised it didn't put you to sleep as well," Ahsoka replied.

"Hey," Lux asked, "did you ever get visions like these when you were a kid? You know, before the war?"

"No," Ahsoka replied. "Not really. I could kind of see things before they happened, as all Jedi did, but I never had any really concrete visions from before the war. What about you?"

"Well," he said. "I remember this one dream where I confessed my love to you, before I actually confessed my love to you. But it didn't feel as real as what you say these actual visions are, and the dream was different than what actually happened, so I guess you could say it was just a dream and not a vision."

"And could you see things before they happened?" Ahsoka asked.

"In a way," Lux said. "When I was a child, I'd sometimes have a hunch about something. I'd feel quite adamant about it, and it would normally be correct."

"Did your mom know this?" Asked Ahsoka.

"Well, it kind of became a sort of running joke, so yeah."

Ahsoka thought there for a second.

"Lux," she said, "Do you think she... she knew about you being force-sensitive? Or at least speculated it?"

"I gotta be honest with you, I have no way to find out now," he replied. "I miss my parents..."

"And I never knew mine," Ahsoka said.

"Then let's make sure that doesn't happen to Aletta," Lux said, looking over at the baby sleeping in the crib.

Ahsoka looked at her too, and the two of them cuddled and fell back asleep.