Chapter 32: And it Ended Surprisingly Well

LUX BONTERI

Lux got the signal from Huyang: Ahsoka had returned in an Imperial shuttle, and had even brought an extra passenger!

Although he didn't yet know Ahsoka's side of the story, he was able to piece together some of it from what Huyang had told him, as well as what he had seen on the news. A former Jedi had incited a revolt on Mon Cala, and Ahsoka found one of his acolytes during the following invasion of the planet by Imperial forces.

After the Mirial incident, there were some doubts as to their abilities, but Lux still knew Ahsoka could go above and beyond what she was told to do. That was exactly what happened here.

Lux stood at the landing pad, and waited for the shuttle to arrive. Sure enough, there it was, carrying Ahsoka's easily recognizable Separatist fighter.

The shuttle landed on one of the landing pads next to the garden built in to the Holt's old hangar.

Lux was expecting the door to open, when suddenly, the Separatist fighter decoupled from the shuttle and clunked on to the ground near the edge of the landing pad.

That was definitely going to leave a mark.

The shuttle wobbled a little following the decoupling, but once it had stabilized, the door finally opened.

Ahsoka came down the ramp, and behind her was a young woman (presumably Barr's acolyte) who was carrying the two Force-sensitive children she was sent to pick up in the first place.

Lux ran towards her and gave her a hug.

"I missed you," Lux said.

"Oh, Lux," Ahsoka said. "Please, stop acting like I was gone for years."

"Wait, hold on," said the acolyte, "Is that Senator Bonteri?"

"Oh. I should probably introduce our new initiate," Ahsoka said. "Lux, this is Verla. She used to be a follower of Ferren Barr. I tried to get Barr to come here himself, but he declined the offer. I have every reason to believe he died fighting for what he believed in."

"Can someone please tell me what's going on?" Verla asked.

"Ahsoka and I are married, that's what's going on," Lux said. "Forget whatever Barr told you about attachment being forbidden and whatnot."

"Barr never spoke of such a rule," Verla said.

"Well, then I certainly have a lot to tell you. Just let Lux and I talk for a moment. You can go talk with some of the Padawans and Younglings hanging out in the garden in the meantime. I'll show you to your room once we're done."

"That's a reasonable request," Verla said. "Very well, then."

Verla walked away.

"So," Ahsoka said, "How is Aletta?"

"Well, she hasn't spontaneously combusted," he said. "But, I was feeding her, and... well, I felt something inside of her. Like sparks that would light a flame."

"Good flame or bad flame?" Ahsoka asked.

"Either one," he said. "I really don't know yet. But what I do know is she'll be a lot like you."

"I can only hope that's the case. If I were to lose my daughter to the Dark Side, what would I even do?"

"Fix this ship up and go to another distant planet?" Lux said.

"No," Ashoka said. "There's something about this place that makes it feel like... we were meant to be here all along."

"Well," Lux said, "Let's just hope it never comes to any of that, then."

"It won't," Ahsoka replied. "if we raise her well, I don't see why she would turn."

"Also," Lux said. "I... I spoke with Rex, and Katooni, and Zatt. They've... taken note of how powerful you've been,  and how that one convor keeps following you around. And... well, Rex suggested it was something that happened on Mortis."

"What?" Ahsoka said.

"You were revived as a deity's final wish, Ahsoka," Lux said, taking a more serious tone. "Maybe you should start asking yourself what that means?"

"I already have, Lux," Ahsoka said. "I've been hearing her voice more and more. I just... I don't know. Even just thinking about it makes me want to ask more questions. I just don't know where to look for answers. But, on Mon Cala, I've done some things only the strongest of Jedi Masters could do before."

"Then I'd say you're a pretty good Jedi Master," Lux replied. "Maybe you're right. Maybe the answers will come in time."

"Yes," Ahsoka said. "But for now, we have to help raise this Fallen Order."

DARTH VADER.

Vader was staring out the window on the bridge of his Star Destroyer.

He heard footsteps come up from behind him, and he turned around to see none other that Tarkin.

"How is the situation on Mon Cala," Vader asked, interrupting Tarkin, who was just about to speak.

"I was just about to give you the report," Tarkin replied. "As expected, some pockets of resistance still exist, but fighting has died down. We will subdue them in time. In the meantime, all non-Imperial vessels are not permitted to enter or leave the planet."

"But what happens when someone who isn't an Imperial takes an Imperial vessel?" Vader asked.

"We've caught several people who were trying to do just that," Tarkin said. "Unfortunately, not all of my captains got the memo, and a few have slipped through the class. And I am certain there is one that would be of great interest to you."

"Go on," Vader said. "I am listening."

"It is her, Lord Vader," Tarkin replied. "Some petty captain on a Star Destroyer let her slip through."

"Interesting," Vader replied. "And how do you know it was her?"

"The shuttle was docked with a Separatist fighter that shares the same design as hers," Tarkin continued. "And given Barr's presence on the planet at the time, we have every reason to believe it was in fact her."

"How curious," Vader said. "Her involvement with Katooni and Luminara was suspicious to begin with, but why exactly she is involving herself with so many Jedi survivors, plus her appearance at the temple siege, is... odd."

"Tano was never sighted with Barr on Mon Cala, Lord Vader. In fact, she wasn't sighted there at all. Perhaps she was there for another reason?"

"Why else  would a Togruta be on a water world?"

"We did not have much presence there to begin with, and she simply may have been trying to throw us off," Tarkin replied. "Mark my words: the Jedi Order is dead, and, by decade's end, all remaining Jedi will be taken care of, Tano included."

"You do not deal in matters of Jedi termination," Vader replied. "How are you in a position to make such a statement?"

"It was merely my own two credits on the issue, Lord Vader," Tarkin replied.

"Very well," Vader replied, "You are dismissed."