Chapter 30: How not to Dock a Ship

AHSOKA TANO-BONTERI

"How do you think we can get this fighter docked?" Verla asked.

"I don't know," Ahsoka replied, setting down the force-sensitive children. "You can't fly, and there's two ships here. Not to mention saying gravity is an issue here would be an understatement. I think we're just going to have to try some funky maneuvers.

The two of them got into the shuttle. Ahsoka tried all sorts of maneuvers, but the ship couldn't get it's docking port facing the ground towards the fighter without being able to head downwards to attatch it.

"It's no use," Verla said. "Also, whatever you're doing, it's giving me motion sickness. You sure you want that fighter so bad? Because the last thing I want happening is the Imps showing up and seeing a shuttle that looks like it needs an exorcism."

"There is one thing I haven't tried yet," Ahsoka said.

She pushed a few buttons on the ship's control panel to make the ship hover in place.

"What are you doing?" Verla asked.

"Watch and learn," Ahsoka said.

Ahsoka closed her eyes and reached her arms out and felt her ship with the Force. Verla looked out the window, and to her amazement, the ship started to lift off the ground. Ahsoka pulled it closer to the shuttle, and tilted it so that it aligned with the docking port.

"Verla," Ahsoka said, "get the docking clamp ready."

Verla ran over to the docking clamp.

"Three, two, one..."

There was a loud bump as the fighter hit the shuttle, and Verla locked down the docking clamp. The Force-sensitive children, startled by the sudden jolt, started crying. Ahsoka quickly calmed them down.

"We're good," Verla said. "Now let's head out of here. We better hope Tarkin's armada isn't still in orbit..."

"From what I'm reading here, it seems the majority of the fleet has left the system," Ahsoka said. "We might have to get past a Star Destroyer or two, but it looks like this thing's clearance codes check out, so as long as they don't get too suspicious, we can get out of here."

Ahsoka began to pilot the shuttle up into the atmosphere.

"And what if they do get suspicious?" Verla asked.

"Hope that they tractor beam us instead of blast us out of the sky," Ahsoka said. "I've hijacked a Star Destroyer before and if I have to I'll do it again."

Verla's jaw dropped.

"You what!?" she said.

"Oh, it was one of the old Republic ones," she continued. "You'll actually get to see it for yourself."

"Well, uh..."

Verla was clearly at a loss for words. To her, it probably sounded like Ahsoka was the most powerful person in the Galaxy who could tear the Empire apart single-handedly.

As they breached the atmosphere, the ship's communications systems beeped.

"They're hailing us," Verla said.

"Leave this to me," said Ahsoka, patching the communication through.

"Shuttle, what are you doing?" said an Imperial captain. "Not only were you not scheduled for departure, it looks like there is an old Separatist fighter docked to your shuttle. You better have an explanation for this."

Ahsoka noticed a Star Destroyer approaching them.

"Hey," said Ahsoka, mimicking a deeper voice. "You blew our skybase when you decided to just shoot everything. We're lucky we made it out alive."

"Yeah, well, that doesn't explain the fighter," continued the captain.

"Found it washed up on Mon Cala," Ahsoka replied. "We're taking this thing over to Kuat to turn it over, see if the mechanics can get anything out of it."

There was silence from the other side, until the Empire finally broke the silence.

"Do not deviate from your current trajectory," the captain said. "We're scanning you for contraband or weapons or something."

Ahsoka sure hoped the Kyber Crystals in her lightsabers wouldn't pull up a reading, so she used the Force to mask their signature, similarly to how she would do so to herself to avoid Sith detection.

The ship flew directly under the belly of the Star Destroyer.

Verla and Ahsoka held their breaths.

"You're all clear," the captain said.

And without hesitation, Ahsoka took the ship into hyperspace.