Chapter 25: A Reunion With a Stranger

Pictured above is Ferren Barr, in the comics he appears in, in case you were wondering.

AHSOKA TANO-BONTERI

"Ferren Barr?" Ahsoka said. "I... I remember you, from back in the Order! Of course, I didn't know you too well, but-"

"You have attracted quite the attention, Tano," Barr said. "Why are you here?"

Then, there was wailing, and the force-sensitive children crawled out from their hiding place. Ahsoka rushed to pick them up.

"Perhaps that would explain it," Barr said. "You surely think you can raise them under the Empire's nose?"

"Barr, please let me talk," Ahsoka said.

"Oh, then by all means, please do. But you had best make it quick. It is only a matter of time before the Empire resorts to... extreme measures."

"What?" Ahsoka asked.

Barr paused.

"Tarkin is leading the assault from orbit," he continued.

"Oh," Ahsoka said.

Tarkin. That absolute knucklehead. She saved his live at the Citadel, only for him to not only try to get her sentenced to death, but then he later became one of the worst of the Empire's worst. Vader and the Inquisitors was one problem. Tarkin was a completely different one. He had an entire fleet of Star Destroyers parked in orbit. Given the command, his fleet would glass the planet from orbit without hesitation. He would even destroy the planet outright, if he could. Thankfully, not even the Empire had that capability. At least, not yet. It wouldn't shock her if they at least tried to find a way to do that.

"So I take it you understand this predicament," Barr continued. "I highly suggest you leave as soon as possible."

"Well, I've been trying to do that. I don't know where my ship is."

"Hmm.." he replied, "What ship did you bring?"

"An old Separatist fighter," Ahsoka continued. "I stole it from Grievous on Onderon, and that's a whole different story."

"I can tell. Then how did you intend to bring the children offworld with such a small ship?"

"I made my own modifications to it," she said, somewhat braggingly.

"Well then, I suppose that means you do not have extra room for yet another passenger."

"Wait, you want to come with?" Ahsoka asked.

"No, I have my own purpose here. One of my followers was a force-sensitive woman named Verla, and we just parted ways. I was hoping for her to find another master. Meanwhile, I must confront Vader, and I have a feeling I know exactly where he will be."

"What!?" Ahsoka said. "Vader!? But you'll die!"

"This is bigger than that," Barr continued. "I have lit the spark of rebellion on this world, and in time, you will see it light the galaxy aflame."

"Wait, didn't you say Tarkin was about to glass this planet from orbit a minute ago!?" Ahsoka asked, starting to question Barr's motives.

"That is not important to you," Barr said, turning his back and starting to walk away.

"Yes, it is," Ahsoka said. "Any solution that ends up with innocent people killed is not the correct one!"

"But it is if it's the only one," Barr continued, facing back towards Ahsoka for a moment.

Ahsoka's eyes widened.

She put down the children, reached for her lightsabers, and ignited them.

"You're no Jedi!" she yelled.

Barr turned around quickly.

"So quick to a fight, are you!? Put those away, I have no intent in fighting you. We may have different means to the same end, but I assure you, we're on the same side."

Ahsoka, visibly frustrated, put away her lightsabers.

She picked up the children, and started walking away.

"Good luck with Vader," she said, grumbling.

"My apologies, Lady Tano," Barr said. "But I am sure Verla will see things in a different manner than I do. Find her, and find a way offworld. You will not regret it."

"I never thought of you this way," Ahsoka said. "I guess I didn't know you well enough. But you might as well be a stranger."

But Ahsoka considered his words. Perhaps it was best if she tried to find this "Verla" either way. She was stuck here anyways.