Pinky Promise Part 1

Rolling to her back Beth Greene's eyes popped open.  Laying on her back on the hardwood floor of the abandoned house she was currently in she listened intently.  She sighed with relief when all she could hear was the snores of her new family and not the moaning of the literal walking dead.

Glancing next to her she could see her sister, Maggie, snuggled under a blanket with Glenn Rhee.  Despite the situation they were in, Maggie seemed genuinely happy with Glenn, whom she had only just met three months prior when the group Glenn was with came to their farm.  

Knowing she wasn't going back to sleep anytime soon Beth slowly got to her feet, careful not to disturb her sister or father who was sleeping on her other side.  Wrapping her blanket around her shoulders she slowly picked her way through the dark living room and made her way to the front door.

Opening it quietly she slipped out to the front porch.  Pausing she glanced around for the person on watch, another person from Glenn's group, Daryl Dixon, who could literally blend into the darkness.  Not seeing him Beth moved to the stairs and settled herself on the bottom steps.

Sighing she leaned against the railing as her eyes roamed the darkness in front of her looking for any movement.  The last seven months had been a literal nightmare.

It had started as a sickness.  High fever, upset stomach, vomiting all the telltale signs of just a regular sickness.  However, they quickly learned that this sickness killed, and once you died you didn't just  stay dead.  

She had overheard Rick Grimes, the designated leader, of the group Glenn and Daryl belonged to telling her daddy, Hershel, what he had learned from his visit to the CDC.  The dead had the ability to 'reanimate' and rise from their graves to walk amongst the living killing anyone they came across.

Her daddy hadn't believed Rick at the time insisting the barn full of living dead he had on their property would be okay until a cure was found.  Rick tried reasoning with her father but she knew once her daddy had his mind made up it was hard to sway him.  Especially when in that barn was his wife Annette, her mama, and her half brother, Shawn. 

In the end her daddy hadn't been able to stop Shane Walsh, another from Rick's group, from opening the barn and letting her family and neighbors out only to gun them down right in front of her daddy.  Beth's heart had broken watching the destruction and just when they thought it was over the little girl that the group had been searching for came stumbling from the barn too.

Carol Peletier's daughter, Sophia, had gone missing after the group had gotten stuck in the middle of the highway near Beth's family farm.  A herd of the dead that they called walkers had come through and Sophia had run into the woods to get away from them.  

While the group searched for the little girl Rick's young son, Carl, had gotten shot by her daddy's friend, Otis, and that's what had brought the group to the Greene farmhouse.  Otis had sent Rick to the farmhouse in search of her father, who being the town vet, had a basic knowledge of what to do to help Carl.  

In order to help Carl though her daddy needed equipment at their local fema shelter, which had been the town's high school.  Otis and Shane had gone for what was needed but only Shane had come back.  

Shane claimed that Otis had sacrificed himself because it was his fault Carl was hurt but Beth had her doubts.  The group had stayed at the farm for nearly two months while Carl recovered from his wounds until another large herd had come through forcing them from her family's farm.  

She had lost her childhood friend, Jimmy, and Otis' wife, Patricia, that night.  The group had also lost a woman named, Andrea, and Shane too.