Pinky Promise Part 11

The next morning found the group preparing to meet with the Governor.  Daryl checked her handgun before handing it over to her where she slipped it into the back of her waistband.  Glenn was strapping a small knife and handgun to her father's leg with a roll of duct tape.  

"You think this is a waste of time, don't you?" Beth asked quietly.  Glancing at her Daryl gave a slight nod before shoving another handgun into his waistband, "Just don't want you out there," he grumbled.

Stepping closer Beth reached up kissing him on his cheek, "You have my back; I have yours," she said simply, "I'm going to find your brother he took my bow to clean it last night," she told him before heading out of the cell block in search of Merle.

Picking up his crossbow Daryl glanced at Hershel and Glenn who were both grinning at him, "Shut up," he barked leaving the cell block too.  

Before long they were on their way to the meeting point.  Beth was in the backseat of the car with her Daddy driving and Rick in the passenger seat.  Daryl was driving ahead on his motorcycle.  

Watching the scenery go by out the window Beth listened while her Daddy and Rick ran through the plan one more time.  They planned on coming up behind the meeting point in which Rick and Daryl were going to go in and scope things out while Beth and Hershel staying in the car and made their way around the building looking for an ambush.

"Beth, if everything seems on the up and up I'll want you and Hershel talking with his people.  See what you can get from them.  Maybe appeal to their human side," Rick was saying to her.  

Nodding Hershel smiled in the rear view mirror at her, "Don't worry, Rick, my Bethie has the wide eyed innocent act down pretty well," Hershel laughed.

Smiling wide Beth batted her eyelashes, "Why I have no idea what you're talking about, Daddy."  While Rick laughed Hershel snorted, "I told Daryl you were just like your mama.  Boy has no idea," Hershel winked back at her.

Scooting forward Beth leaned between the two seats, "Daddy, we didn't really talk about it.  Are you okay with Daryl and I liking each other?" she asked,

Sighing, Hershel glanced at his youngest before focusing back on the road, "Bethie when two people find each other that just work it's hard press to give up on that.  Now you know the age difference between your mama and I and we certainly had our uphill battles with the judgement of others but we just worked.  I admit the man I met back at the farm wouldn't've been my first choice for you, Doodlebug, but watching him search for Carol's little girl and the way he kept us fed on the road this winter I realize the old adage of judging a book by it's cover is true.  He's different with you.  Patient, not so angry but I think just the more dangerous because of you and in this world that's needed," Hershel answered.  

Smiling Beth leaned forward kissing her father on his cheek, "Thank you, Daddy."

Pulling up a few minutes later Beth pulled the shotgun from the floor of the car and scanned the surrounding area as Rick got out of the car and Daryl got off his bike.  

Raising his crossbow up Daryl's eyes were steadily searching the area too as he made his way to her window, "Keep your ass in the car.  I'll meet ya on the other side," he grumbled before he and Rick headed through the silos at the back of the meeting point.

"He's such a sweetheart, Daddy.  Ain't he?" Beth snarked, rolling her eyes when she heard her daddy snort from the front seat.

Climbing through the seats to the front passenger side Beth kept her rifle up as they slowly worked their way around to the front of the building.  Pulling up in front Beth saw Daryl coming down the side of the building stopping by Hershel's window, "He's already in there.  Sat down with Rick," he told them.