Pinky Promise Part 25

Tugging at the collar of his button down shirt Daryl looked out across the courtyard of the prison as the residents either took seats or stood waiting. "How'd I get talked into this?" he muttered.

"Cuz I needed a best man and you love me," Glenn responded from where they stood at the end of the wedding aisle that had been created. Hearing Rick snort from where he stood as officiant both men turned to look at him.

"I think it's more like he loves Beth and she asked him too," Rick stated.

"You know it's my wedding day, can I at least pretend it had something to do with me?" Glenn questioned with a slight pout.

Seeing Beth coming out of the prison wearing a pale blue sundress with a crown of wild flowers in her hair Daryl felt his heart stop, "Nah, pretty sure it has to do with her," he replied nodding at the blonde as she spoke to JD who was manning the CD player.

"Well I'm gonna pretend it has to do with me," Glenn grumbled as Rick laughed.

Hearing the music begin the three men turned their attention to the other end of the aisle where Beth stood waiting as Maggie and Hershel walked out of the prison to join her.

"God," Glenn breathed out as he caught sight of his wife to be. Glancing at Glenn Daryl snorted, "If you cry I swear to God," he muttered.

"Shut up," Glenn replied, "I'll remember that when you're down here waiting for Beth."

Feeling his chest tighten at the thought Daryl watched as she began to walk down the aisle. He didn't think marriage was something he was capable of, but as Beth caught his eye and gave him the most radiant smile Daryl decided for Beth he'd try.

As he thought it over he decided nothing much would have to change. They were already raising Judith together and living together in the prison. The only thing that would change would be her last name. At the thought of her taking his last name and being introduced as his wife he felt his pants tightening. Shifting uncomfortably he cleared his throat.

Glancing over at his best man Glenn smirked, "Guess it won't be long before we switch roles," he whispered as Beth was nearly at the end of the aisle.

Opening his mouth to retort Daryl was cut off by a very loud screech coming from Carol's lap where Judith sat. Seeing Beth the baby raised her arms and kicked her legs babbling her baby speak.

Laughing Beth swooped the baby up from Carol's arms and settled her on her hip before taking her place on the opposite side from Glenn and Daryl. Winking across the aisle at Daryl she blew him a kiss before turning her attention to her sister and daddy walking down the aisle next.

Daryl figured he should pay attention to whatever spiel Rick was giving about love and marriage, but he couldn't stop watching Beth from across the aisle. She was like an angel. A flame that burned through his darkness.

Truth be told today wasn't the first time he'd thought of giving her his last name. Since that moment he'd walked into the infirmary two weeks ago and seen her hurt it had been on his mind. She'd scared the shit out of him that day.

Catching her eye he winked as she smiled at him before turning back to the wedding ceremony.

Once the vows had been said and the I dos were repeated and Glenn had planted a very R rated kiss on his new wife Rick made the announcement of the new Mr. and Mrs. Rhee and the two turned to head back down the aisle.

Moving towards Beth he took her arm as they practiced and they followed the married couple down the aisle.

"You look beautiful," Daryl whispered into her ear as they walked. Smiling up at him she giggled, "You're looking pretty handsome yourself," she replied.