Pinky Promise Part 9

"We're not leaving," Rick announced.  "We can't stay here," Hershel argued.  "What if there's another sniper?" Maggie questioned, "Those wood pallets won't stop one of those rounds."

"We can't even go outside at least not in the daylight," Carol chimed in.  "Rick says we're not running.  Then we're not running," Glenn cut in.

"No better to live like rats," Merle said sarcastically from where he stood on the other side of the locked cell block door.  Turning to Merle Rick asked him if he had a better idea

"Yeah, you should've packed up shop last night and left with the cover of the dark.  Live to fight another day.  By now he's probably got scouts on every road out of here," he told them all.

Pacing the cat walk Daryl looked down at his brother, "We ain't scared of that prick," he told him.  

Shaking his head Merle looked up at his brother, "Ya'll should be.  That truck through the fence thing, that's just him ringing the doorbell.  We might have some thick walls to hide behind, but he's got the guns and the numbers.  And if he takes the high ground around this place, shoot, he could just starve us out if he wanted to."

"Let's put him in another cell block," Maggie piped up glaring at Merle.  

"No, he's got a point, " Daryl agreed with his brother.  Twisting her bandana in her hands Maggie shot daggers at Merle, "This is all you.  You started this," she yelled.

Walking down the catwalk Beth looked down at her sister, "It doesn't matter who's fault it is.  We have to decide what to do," she stated.  "I think we should leave," Hershel said again, "Axel's dead.  We can't just sit here," he said sternly looking at Rick.

Shaking his head Rick started walking away when Hershel struggled to stand yelling for Rick to get back here.  Reaching for Daryl's  hand Beth sucked in her breath.  It was very rare for her daddy to yell.

Using his crutches Hershel came up behind Rick, "You're slipping Rick.  We've all seen it.  We all understand why.  But now is not the time.  You once said this is not a democracy.  Now you have to own up to that.  I put my family's life in your hands.  So get your head clear and do something," Hershel demanded.  

Nodding Rick continued out of the cell block.  

Watching him go Beth sighed, "Your daddy ain't wrong," Daryl told her quietly.  Nodding Beth heard Judith fussing from her cell and turned to get her.  

Holding onto her hand she was forced to turn back around to look at him, "I want you wearing that body armor," he told her.  Knowing there was no sense arguing with him she simply nodded before going back to get Judith.  

Picking up the baby Beth rocked her a few minutes till she quieted down, "What's the matter, Honey?  We really need to get a sling so I can go further then my cell with you," she told the little girl. 

"We may be able to make one out of a sheet," Carol suggested from the cell door.  Looking up Beth smiled, "Do you think so?"  Nodding Carol held up her finger before disappearing down the stairs.  She was back within minutes holding a fitted bed sheet, "Okay, let's figure this out," Carol said holding it up.

The two were struggling to tie the sheet together when Daryl came storming in, "Fucking Glenn," he stopped short after catching sight of Carol, "Oh, sorry," he finished lamely.  

Smiling at him Carol waved her hand, "You look like you need to vent.  Let me take Judith and get out of your way," she said lightly taking the little girl from Beth and walking out.  

Cocking her head Beth looked at Daryl, "Well finish that sentence," she urged.

Rolling his eyes he sat on the edge of the bed, "He's pissed Merle is here.  Doesn't understand he's with us now," he grumbled.  Sighing Beth sat next to him, "He's just angry, Daryl.  He's struggling with not being able to protect Maggie and Merle was part of that so his anger is placed at Merle's feet," she explained.