Pinky Promise Part 23

Hauling a crate filled with sidewalk chalk and playdoh to the truck Merle hefted it into the bed wedging it between two collapsible high chairs and the thing Beth had said was an activity center for the baby. Looking over everything jammed into the bed of the truck he hoped Blondie was about done as they were out of room.

Lifting the tail gate he slammed it shut at the same time he heard the crack of a gun and agonizing pain in the back of his leg. Falling to his knees he clutched the bumper of the truck as he twisted around to find Shumpert, one of the Governor's men, and Martinez standing behind him. 

 Shumpert had his gun raised smiling, "Well if it isn't the redneck traitor," he taunted.

"You fuckin pussy," Merle snarled, "Only way to get the jump on me is by sneakin behind my back," he yelled. Lunging for the man, Merle was slammed back by Shumpert's boot to his face. 

Bringing his gun up against Merle's head Shumpert hissed, "You're lucky boss wants you alive," he told him, "Thinks your brother will trade that bitch he wants, for killing his girl, for you."

Hearing Beth scream from the daycare Merle shoved the gun aside only to be kicked in the face again and then his side over and over. When the gunshot echoed from inside the daycare Merle looked up at Shumpert gasping, "You better pray that girl's alright or my brother's goin hunt you to the ends of the earth," he snarled.

Instead of answering, Shumpert brought his booted foot down on the fingers of Merle's good hand. "Fucking bastard," he screamed from the pain. "Wait," Martinez interrupted. 

Looking down at Merle he asked who was in the daycare in which Merle answered with a resounding fuck off. Martinez held his gun to his head, "Who are you here with?" he demanded. "Beth," he answered hearing her scream again.

Twisting Martinez surprised Shumpert by grabbing his gun and disarming him, "You've got two seconds to decide if you're with me or against," Martinez told Shumpert.

Raising his hands Shumpert stepped back, "What the fuck ya doing? Turning traitor?" he asked in disbelief before a bullet was shot through his skull. 

"Took too long to decide," Martinez said looking at the dead man, "Get in the truck," he told Merle before heading into the daycare.

Entering the daycare he could hear the sounds of the struggle coming from one of the rooms down the hallway. Hearing the Governor call Beth a 'fucking bitch," Martinez hurried down the hall. 

Stepping into the doorway of the room he was just in time to see a bloody Beth plunge one of her bolts from her crossbow into the Governor's neck. The governor fell to his knees with blood pouring from his neck.

Seeing the Governor raise his gun towards the dazed blonde Martinez raised his gun and fired hitting the Governor in his temple. Falling forward he landed on Beth. Rushing over he rolled the Governor's body off the small girl grimacing when he saw she was covered in blood. 

Checking her over the only bleeding wound coming from her was from her left arm. Pulling his bandanna from his back pocket he tied it around her arm to cut off the bleeding.

Calling her name when he heard her groan she awoke swinging and clocked him across the face, "Holy fuck," he exclaimed grabbing her fist, "Beth, it's Martinez. Calm down I'm not here to hurt you," he pleaded.

Squinting through her rapidly swelling eyes Beth could vaguely make out the man she'd met at the meeting between Rick and the Governor. "Merle?" she croaked.

"He's okay. Shot in the leg but he'll live, unfortunately," he assured her, "I'm gonna move you. You need to keep your arm still," he told her before moving to her right side and carefully picking her up.