Pinky Promise Part 3

The next morning the group found themselves standing at the top of the yard armed with knives.  "Okay, we can't risk the ammo so we're going to have to stay together and go hand to hand," Rick instructed Daryl, T-Dogg, Maggie, Glenn, and Beth, "The rest of you along the fences get as many as you can through the fence," he said pointing to the others.

Gripping her machete Beth bit her lip glancing over at Daryl as he came to stand next to her, "Stay close," he told her.  Nodding she took a deep breath as her dad opened the gate into the courtyard of the prison.

"Let's go.  Stay together," Rick yelled charging in.  Slowly the group worked their way through the walkers embedding their knives into their skulls.  The initial group of walkers was fairly easy however once they turned the corner they came face to face with walkers wearing protective riot gear.  

Watching as one of Daryl's arrows bounced off the shield Maggie yelled, "We have to go up under the shields."

"Daryl we need to close the other gate," Rick yelled, pointing to another gate leading into another courtyard.  Daryl paused looking at Beth before taking off to where Rick was trying to pull the other gate closed.

Seeing a walker dressed in riot gear heading for Rick and Daryl Beth ran for it.  Coming up behind it she kicked it's leg out from under it causing it to fall to it's knees.  Praying her sister was right she shoved it's head forward bringing her machete up and under the helmet pleasantly surprised when it fell forward motionless.

"Beth, duck," she heard Daryl yell.  Ducking Beth heard the arrow fly past her head and land with a splat in the head of another walker that had been coming up behind her.  Feeling Daryl pull her to her feet he stayed within arms reach as they finished taking down the rest of the walkers.

Glancing around at the carnage Beth breathed deeply, "Holy shit," she mumbled.  "Yeah," Daryl grumbled.

After a quick discussion Rick decided to press on into the actual prison.  Slowly they made their way into one of the cell blocks.  There were a few prisoners in their cells still that needed to be taken care of but after they cleared out cell block C they were able to go get the rest of the group.  

Climbing the stairs to the second level Beth decided she'd have more privacy further up.  Taking the one closest to the steps she threw her scavenged sleeping bag and school bag onto the bed before sitting down exhausted.  

Closing her eyes she breathed in deeply and slowly let it out.  "Hey," she heard from the open cell.  Opening her eyes she looked over to see Daryl leaning against the frame, "You up for going into the rest of the prison?" he asked quietly.

Nodding Beth stood, grabbed her machete, and crossed the small cell to where he stood by the door.  Glancing over his shoulder she saw his stuff piled in a corner across the walkway by the steps, "Is that your new home?" she asked.

Clearing his throat he shrugged, "I ain't sleeping in one of these cages," he told her as they made their way down to where some of the group were strapping on riot gear.  

Seeing her, Maggie held up a chest protector, "Beth, this is pretty small.  Should be able to strap it tight enough around you," she told her, bringing it over.  Once they were ready the group that took the courtyard plus Hershel made their way out of cellblock C and headed down into the rest of the prison.

"Hold this up for me and stay on my ass," Daryl instructed, handing her a flashlight as he unlocked the door leading to the corridors of the prison.  Slowly the group wound their way through the hallways with Glenn and Maggie using cans of spray paint to spray arrows on the wall to lead back out.