Pinky Promise Part 5

"Ohhhhhhh," Lori moaned, grabbing onto the chains hanging by her.  

"Okay, okay, how about if we get you down to the floor?" Beth suggested.  "Noooo.....there's no time the baby is coming," Lori moaned.  

Wide eyed Carl stood off to the side, "What?  We have to get back to the cell block.  Hershel, we need his help."  Helping Lori as she stumbled over to another set of steps Lori clutched the arm rails, "No, we can't risk going out there and getting stuck," Lori told Carl, "Beth you're gonna have to deliver this baby."

"We can do that," Beth decided, "Now I've never delivered a human but I've done plenty of cows and horses on the farm.  It can't be much different," she declared, rubbing Lori's back. 

Laughing through her pain Lori looked back at Beth, "You saying I'm a cow now?"  Smiling, Beth unbuttoned Lori's pants telling Carl to turn around while she helped his mother pull her pants off, "I wouldn't say cow.  You're fairly tall and skinny so maybe a horse is more like it," Beth told her seriously.  

Laughing through another round of pain Lori bore down against the wall, "Beth, I already feel like I have to push," she exclaimed.  "Okay, okay, it's just like with the animals.  Your body knows what to do so bare down and push if you must," Beth told her, squatting behind her to try and see anything, "Carl, rub her back for her," Beth instructed the wide eyed boy.

After a few more strangled moans from Lori as she pushed Beth heard a squelching sound and looked down to find blood running down Lori's legs, "Lori no!  Stop pushing.  Something's wrong!"

Just as she said it Beth felt Lori's legs give out as she began sinking to the floor, "Whoa whoa okay," Beth helped her down onto her back, "We have to get you back to my dad."  Shaking her head Lori stared up at Carl, "There's no time.  I'm not going to make it," she told them faintly.

Biting her lip Beth looked up at the pale woman, "Lori, there's too much blood.  I don't even think you're fully dilated so no amount of pushing is going to do anything," she told her hearing the panic in her own voice.

"Beth, I know what it means and you have to cut me open.  My baby needs to survive," Lori told her calmly.  Shaking her head Beth stared at Lori, "I can't.  I don't know how.  Daddy showed Carol and Maggie, but I only overheard the general idea."

Standing Carl looked down at his mother, "I'll go for help," he told them heading for the steps.  "No!" Lori told him sternly, "There's no time.  Beth cut me open and get the baby out."

Crying now Beth looked around widely, "I have no anesthetic, no equipment," she cried.  "Carl has a knife," Lori declared looking at her son.  "Lori you won't survive," Beth pleaded.  

Gripping Beth's hand Lori pulled herself up to look her in the eyes, "My baby will survive.  I need my baby to survive.  Lift my shirt and cut across my old c-section scar.  I know I'm asking a lot Beth but I know you can do it.  Honey, I'm so proud of you these last few months.  You were right that day in the woods.  I wanted you to live, I demanded it of you, and you found a way with Daryl.  Now find a way to allow my baby to live like you did," she told her quietly. 

 Wiping her eyes Beth nodded as she attempted to get her breathing under control, "Okay, Carl, I need you to come hold your mother's hand and I need your knife," she told the boy standing frozen by the steps, "Now Carl."

Rushing back to his mother Carl handed Beth his knife before dropping down beside Lori's head.  Beth could hear Lori talking to Carl but it was like the voices were down a tunnel as she stared at the knife in her hand.

"Okay Beth, Beth Honey, I'm ready," Lori's voice broke into her consciousness.

Taking a deep steadying breath Beth brought the knife to Lori's stomach, "I'm so sorry Lori," she whispered before dragging the knife across her stomach.  Beth had never heard anyone scream the way Lori did till finally the pain was too much and she simply passed out.