Pinky Promise Part 22

"Okay when I'm not here Ben is in charge and Carl and Lizzie are his assistants," Beth told the four kids sitting in the baby pools, "You will listen and respect them just as you do me," she told them sternly.  Blinking up at her; the kids all nodded.

Smiling Beth held her hands out, "Alright now give me a hug," she told them.  

Scrambling out of the pools she was assaulted by four little wet bodies all squealing.  "We got you wet," Lizzie's sister, Mika, laughed.  "It'll dry soon enough," Beth assured her.

"Molly and Luke make sure you read the next chapter in Harry Potter and we'll talk about it when I get back," she reminded her two eight year olds. 

Picking up the youngest Beth kissed his cheek, "Tucker, Lizzie is going to help you with your letters," she told the four year old, "I'd love to see your name when I get back," she told him, setting him back down.

Hearing Merle yelling for her Beth clapped her hands together, "Be good and hopefully I'll bring some cool things back for us," she told them before heading to the truck where Merle was impatiently waiting for her.

"What is this shit you got playin?" Merle questioned glaring at the radio as he drove.  Making a note in her notebook Beth ejected the CD from the car radio before putting in a new one, "I'm deciding on music for Maggie's wedding.  It's only in two weeks," she replied.  

Grimacing he shook his head, "That shit's worse then the one before," he grumbled.  Chewing on the end of her pencil she contemplated, "Taylor Swift was very popular before the world ended," she informed him, "But you're right Maggie wasn't a fan," she continued popping the CD out and adding another.

"Where you get all those?" he asked, looking at the stack of CDs she held.  "Anytime they go out on runs they look for CDs and bring them back so we can have music," she explained, "Carol's gonna make a cake since we have eggs, from the chickens, and milk, from the goat.  She thinks she can make it good," she told him.

Humming Merle agreed if anyone could make it good it would be Carol.  

Suppressing a smile she eyed Merle, "Ya know you still have time to ask Carol to be your date," she told him.  Scoffing he glared at her, "Ya gonna tell me how to get to this fuckin daycare?" he asked, ignoring her comment.

Pulling up to the daycare Beth led the way to the window she'd broken months prior.  Rapping her machete against the window sill they waited a few minutes to see if anything appeared.  When nothing came she hoisted herself inside and then went and unlocked the door for Merle. 

"So we'll go room by room," she told him walking back down the hall to the room she'd come through the window in, "You think we can get at least two of the cribs into the back of the truck and still have room for other stuff?" she asked.  Grabbing the closest crib he shrugged, "Guess we'll find out," he answered maneuvering it out the door.

Beth was in the last room of the daycare searching through a closet when she heard a gunshot.  Wide eyed she realized she didn't have her machete as she'd set it on the counter in the kitchen.  Easing out of the closet she quietly made her way to the door where her crossbow was leaning against the wall.  

Picking it up she thought she could hear shouting from outside.  Knowing Merle wouldn't use a gun unless he absolutely had to she raised the bow and started down the hallway.

The attack came out of nowhere.

She'd just started past one of the rooms when her crossbow was knocked out of her hands and she found herself shoved against the wall of the hallway by her throat.  Heart racing she stared into the eye of the Governor.

"Well, well, little Miss Beth," he taunted, "You're certainly not who I'd thought I'd fine," he told her eyebrows raised.  Before he had time to say more Beth had reached for the knife on her hip; pulling it she plunged it into his chest causing him to drop her and bellow in pain.

Gasping for breath she stumbled down the hall only to be tackled from behind.  Crying out as her face made contact with one of the door frames she laid on the floor dazed. 

"You're gonna pay for that you little bitch," he snarled, dragging her by her hair into the room.

Screaming as she tried to pry his hands from her hair Beth was able to connect her small fist to the one spot Daryl always said was the first target to go for on a man.  Grunting he fell to his knees effectively letting her go.  Scrambling up she stumbled to the hallway where her crossbow was.

Picking it up she turned quickly ready to fire to find he had a gun pointing at her.  Beth didn't even realize he'd fired until she felt the searing pain in her left arm.  Stumbling back she hit the wall as the weight of the crossbow was too much for her injured arm, she pulled the trigger as it fell to her side sending the bolt somewhere into the room.

Knowing she couldn't lift the crossbow without the use of her left arm she dropped it and attempted to run down the hall to the front door.  He was too quick for her though and grabbed her around her wounded arm.  Beth screamed in agony as he dragged her back inside the room.

Her screams were effectively cut off as he backhanded her causing her to skid a few feet across the floor into the opposite wall.  Blinking rapidly she tried focusing her vision as she managed to get to her knees.

Stalking towards her he grabbed her around the throat lifting her off her feet, "Now this didn't have to get so violent," he told her, "I just wanted to talk but you've been quite uncooperative," he declared.

Choking Beth clawed at the vise like grip he had on her throat.  Blinking spots from her vision she found his stab wound and shoved her fingers into the wound.  Howling he dropped her to the floor as he clutched his chest, "Fucking bitch," he raged, as Beth crawled across the floor attempting to get away from him.

Enraged he reached down to pull her up again just as her fingers closed over her stray bolt.  Screaming she plunged the head of the bolt into his neck.  Blood poured from the wound as he sank to his knees in front of her.

Falling to her back Beth felt her vision going in and out tensing at the familiar sound of a gun clicking and then firing.