chapter 1

"teach me," lexie pleaded.
"i'm your teacher," mark sighed. he was fighting a great urge. the words of his best friend ringing in his ear.
"so... teach me," she smiled. "come on am i really so bad?"
"no. i am," mark exhaled sharply and kissed her.

"that was..." lexie breathed heavily.
"you were..." mark was at a loss for words. they both were. there was no way to describe what just happened. however, the night was still fresh and it wasn't very late so lexie stayed a while. they talked for hours until both their pagers went off.
"ughh," lexie grunted as she got dressed quickly.
"do you want me to drive you there?" mark asked.
"no it's okay. i'm sure it would send derek into a blind rage if he saw us together," she smiled. he'd told her about what derek had asked him. the one thing he'd asked him to do, and he couldn't keep that promise. he felt guilty but then he looked at lexie and remembered everything and all the guilt went away.

"where have you been?" meredith asked lexie as she waited in the trauma bay.
"i was... getting takeout. but then i decided i didn't really want to drive so i stayed and ate at the chinese place," lexie lied. though she hated lying to her sister, she wasn't quite ready to tell her about mark. the ambulance pulled into the bay and unloaded a man who was utterly mangled. he'd fallen out of a fifth story window due to a nightmare. his daughter was in there with him, her eyes filled with fear.

"we're losing a pulse!" dr. hunt yelled. everyone in the trauma room stopped what they were doing and started to revive the dying patient. his daughter stared at us through the window of the trauma room.
"someone needs to get his daughter out of here!" i exclaimed. for a moment, everyone stared at me.
"little grey, you're the intern. go take the girl somewhere else," bailey motioned toward the door. i walked out there and just as the door shut i heard a flatline.

"what's happening to my dad?" the little girl asked me.
"what's your name sweetheart?" i replied. she sighed.
"my names kate evans. what's happening to my dad? is he dying?" she asked again.
"the doctors in there are very good at their job. they're doing everything they can to make sure he's okay. you're gonna be okay," i smiled.
"he's dying isn't he?" she frowned. "my mommy died when i was one. i miss her." i hugged her tightly.
"you know, my mom died just last year. and i miss her everyday," i told her.

after a few minutes i saw owen walk out of the trauma room, a disappointed look on his face. damn it. he looked at me and shook his head. a few moments later kate noticed and looked at me. "oh. my dad died didn't he?" her voice broke.
"yeah. he did," tears trickled down my cheeks as well as hers. where was she gonna go now?"