chapter 9

"first day back! how are you feeling?" meredith asked lexie.
"good, i think. as long as i avoid mark i should be okay," lexie sighed.
"he's been asking about you. about how you've been," meredith told her.
"i'm fine. would everyone stop asking me that? i'm fine!" lexie exclaimed.
"you lost a child. everyone's just a little... worried," meredith explained.
"they have nothing to worry about. i'm fine," lexie proclaimed.

mark hasn't been himself since lexie left him. he wanted to give her everything she wanted, even if it wasn't him. it was killing him, though, because what he needed was her. "hey!" derek smiled as he got on the elevator mark was riding.
"hey," mark replied glumly.
"wow, you need to start having sex again. you haven't smiled in weeks," derek sighed. "i'm worried about you. it was your kid too. you lost your kid and your girlfriend."
"i'm fine! and i don't need sex to be happy. there's only two people who could make me happy. now one of them is dead and the other..." mark paused. "the other wants nothing to do with me." derek hugged him and patted him on the back.
"i'm gonna find you someone. can you just promise me you'll try to be happy?" derek asked.
"if you can find someone, have at it. and yeah i'll try, i guess," mark faked a smile, then the elevator opened and the parted ways.

————————————————————————
i know this has been a really sad few chapters. i promise you it gets better if you just keep reading!