chapter 6

both surgeries went well and now they're both in recovery. lexie moved between both rooms until meredith woke up. "hi! the surgery went great, and so did the transplant," lexie smiled. meredith grunted.
"lex... you're on my i.v." meredith laughed. "when can i get out of here?"
"2 weeks on bed rest here and then two at home," lexie replied. meredith grunted again.

"i think it's time we tell derek," lexie told mark. "and i'm going to tell him, not you."
"are you sure?" mark asked.
"yeah. i want to go public with you," lexie smiled. "i'll tell him tomorrow."

"hey derek!" lexie smiled as she approached him. "i have to tell you something important and i don't want you to freak out."
"shoot," he told her.
"i've been seeing mark sloan. it was my idea not his. it was all me," lexie blurted. derek's face was blank for a few moments.
"does he make you happy?" he asked.
"yes, very," she smiled.

"mom my stomach really hurts," kate complained. lexie looked over to her and noticed she looked very jaundice.
"mark!" lexie called out. she had a pretty good idea of what this was.
"what is it?" mark asked. he then saw the little girl clutching her stomach and just how yellow her skin was.
"okay, so let's go to the hospital just to make sure it's nothing serious," lexie nodded. they quickly got in the car.

they arrived at the hospital and paged bailey. "well what do we have here?" she smiled.
"she has really bad abdominal pain and looks jaundice. dr. bailey is this what i think it is?" lexie choked back tears and bailey began the ultrasound. after a few minutes she let out a great sigh. lexie stared at ultrasound.
"no, no, no. it's..." lexie stopped.
"stage four pancreatic cancer. we can treat it with chemo, but the chance of survival are..." lexie interrupted bailey.
"1 percent. 1 percent of people live past one year after their diagnosis, even less survive five years after."
"mom, am i gonna... die?" kate frowned.
"i don't know sweetheart. i don't know," lexie started to cry.