chapter 12

lexie was unconscious for 48 hours after her surgery. when she finally woke up she was in an unfamiliar hospital. "w-where am i?" lexie looked around.
"we're at seattle pres. do you remember what happened?" mark held her hand tightly.
"i was shot. i was shot and you saved me," lexie squeezed his hand back.
"i love you too. i never stopped loving you and i never will," mark whispered.
"mark... we don't work. we're the same people from before, nothing has changed," lexie rambled. mark had had enough, he leaned in and kissed her.

"everything has changed. derek died, arizona was shot. everything has changed lex. i don't wanna wait anymore, you could've died and i don't want to wait," mark told her.
"derek died?" lexie asked.
"yeah. he was shot in the heart and cristina couldn't save him," mark sighed.
"are you okay?" lexie asked. she only just realized how awful this year had been for him. he lost his child, his girlfriend, and now his best friend. "okay."
"okay what?" mark was confused.
"i could die tomorrow and i don't want to be alone anymore... so, okay," lexie smiled.
"okay," mark smiled back.

"charge to 200! clear!"
mark jerked awake to the sound of the defibrillator. he was so tired it took him a minute to realize what was happening. lexie had coded. there had been a complication from her surgery and her heart gave out.
"what happened?" mark looked at the doctor. "what the hell happened?"
"her liver is starting to fail and all her other organs are trying to follow. we gotta get her up to surgery if she's gonna survive!" the doctor yelled. mark quickly called meredith.
"you have to hurry... it's lexie!"

lexie felt nothing. she remembered feeling a stabbing pain in her stomach, near where she was shot. then she remembered seeing mark and then... she saw nothing. "mom?" a voice from behind her asked. she jerked her head around. this couldn't be real.
"kate?!" she smiled. they ran towards each other. "i've missed you so much!"
"i missed you too... wait why are you here? did you get hurt?" kate questioned.
"i did. but the doctors are working very hard to save me," lexie smiled. a small part of her wanted to stay there, forever. to be with there with kate, talking to her again for the rest of her life.