chapter 3

"how are you so good with kids?" lexie asked baffled.
"i'm not sure. i just guess i know what not to be like," he sighed.
"what do you mean?" lexie asked.
"my parents didn't want kids. they went out partying and drinking and left me alone. dereks mom basically raised me. then my mom died of cancer when i was 17 and my dad barely ever left the house after that," mark explained.
"i'm so sorry. i guess something good did come out of it though," lexie smiled.
"i guess so... we should probably get some sleep. long day ahead of us with the social workers tomorrow," mark sighed and they went to sleep.

"mark i'm freaking out!" lexie exclaimed as she got ready for her meeting.
"you're gonna be fine, lex. you make kate smile and laugh and you've kept her entire world from falling apart. the social workers will see that and they'll know she belongs with you," mark comforted her. that's what she loved about mark. he could calm her down in the most hectic of situations. she was in love with him, but she could never say it, for what if he didn't feel the same way?

he felt the same way. he loves her smile, her laugh, her rosy cheeks, he loves everything about her. though he was just as scared. he'd never really been in love before. not even addison.

"lexie?" kate asked as she tied her shoe.
"yes kate?" lexie responded. mark had taken some paperwork to the car and he was waiting for them there.
"i hope i get to stay here," she smiled.
"me too. me too," lexie helped her finish getting ready and they made their way to the car.

"so you were mr. evans' doctor?" the social worker asked.
"yes. we both were. but i stepped out to watch kate," lexie replied. she felt as if she was about to disintegrate. this had to go well, if not kate would get lost in the foster system.
"and you too live together?" he asked.
"we do," mark assured him. this was news to lexie. sure, she'd stayed there a lot, but she didn't realize she'd been there that much. it didn't bother her much though, she was far too focused on the words the social worker wasn't saying.
"well, i don't see any red flags. you two seem like you have a healthy relationship going, so i have to run it by the judge but the odds seem to be in your favor," he smiled. lexie was relieved. she let out a large sigh and mark rubbed her back. kate may actually become her daughter. it seemed surreal, not to mention that mark, a man who she'd barely been with, was doing it with her. she had a job she loves, a boyfriend she loves, and now she might even get a child she loves.