chapter 7

for months mark and lexie got kate into clinical trials. she started to get better, and for a while there was hope. then she started to deteriorate. richard told them she had eight months to live, if that. they were all heartbroken. lexie and mark's relationship was also suffering, but they didn't even realize it. for months they ignored the damage they were doing to themselves, until finally they gave in. it became clear that kate wasn't going to get better. it had been 10 months since her diagnosis. she lived longer than anyone thought she would, but the cancer hadn't gone away. it was still growing and instead of pumping her full of drugs that may or may not work, the two of them stopped treatment.

"so we're gonna make sure you're comfortable here, okay?" lexie smiled, her voice breaking as she spoke.
"no more medicine?" kate asked.
"no. no more treatment," mark sighed. they both squeezed her hand tightly.
"it's g-getting a little to b-b-breath," kate coughed. lexie stroked her hair. her monitor started to beep erratically.
"code blue!" mark yelled. bailey rushed into the room, a crash cart and a team of nurses followed her.
"you two need to leave!" bailey told them. mark pulled lexie to the back of the room and they both watched as bailey tried to revive her. "charge to 200! clear!" there was no rhythm. "charge to 250! clear!" still nothing. "charge to 300! clear!" the loud sound of a flatline filled the room. arizona started compressions, bailey looked back at mark and lexie.

after trying to regain a heartbeat for 20 minutes arizona stopped compressions. "time of death 12:06," bailey sighed as she snapped her gloves off her hands. lexie fell to the floor and sobbed. mark sat down beside her and stroked her hair.
"she's dead. kate died," lexie whispered. "why did this have to happen to us... to me!" meredith, derek, and callie ran into the room. they were about to speak when they saw kate's lifeless body being draped.