chapter 4

mark was freaking out. he never thought that he'd ever want to commit to a relationship, or fall in love, or have a child, but now he's doing all three. kate had just recently started living with them, but they needed a bigger place. callie had just moved into an apartment and there was one next door for sale.

"so i was thinking..." he moved the laptop closer to lexie so she could see. "what if we bought this apartment? it's not too expensive and it's really close to the hospital."
"i love it!" lexie smiled. "kate, come look at the house mark found!" she called out to the child. about a minute later the blonde, blue-eyed girl skipped into the room. she gasped.
"it's so beautiful!" she laughed. lexie picked her up and sat kate on her lap.
"i agree," lexie smiled.

lexie was asleep on the couch with kate beside her. mark picked kate up and carried her to her bed, then he carried lexie bridal style to their bed. he was lying there beside her, about to go to sleep, when he whispered, "i love you." what he didn't realize he was that lexie was awake. thoughts raced through her head. on impulse she decided to do something. she turned around to face him.
"i love you too," she whispered back.

they'd finally moved all their stuff into the new apartment and gotten into a habit of saying "i love you." though neither of them had told derek, lexie knew she needed to be the one to do it.
"hey lexie?" kate smiled as she skipped around the living room.
"yes?" lexie replied from the couch.
"can i call you mom and mark dad?" kate asked. lexie was a little shocked.
"of course! i'll have to check with mark but i'm totally okay with that," she laughed. then she checked her watch and realized she needed to get to the hospital.

"what do we got?" i asked as the paramedic unloaded the ambulance.
"grey?" bailey called out. meredith and i were confused.
"yes?" we both answered. that's when they unloaded our dad. "oh my god!" i ran over to him.
"we found him unconscious on the sidewalk. his abdomen is tender," the paramedic informed us.
"he stopped drinking months ago. he- he's sober," i sighed.
"i'm guessing it's his liver then," bailey felt his abdomen. suddenly he started coughing. it was when blood came out with the cough that bailey knew. "it's definitely the liver!"