Forty Seven- Mates

Forty Seven- Mates

"You're back in one piece," it was his usual greeting and I couldn't fight the homesickness that overtook me as I met his eyes. Uncle gave me a small grin, "I assumed the Fae would've kept you in chains but by the looks of it you're doing good,"

"She has proved her loyalty to us," Rhysand stated as he stood before uncle. The Fae in the room were meeting their king for the first time. Mortal or not, uncle still was the only eligible heir to the throne and now here were all were, confronting our pasts.

Uncle only smiled before waving his hand slightly, "I knew your father boy, he was strong and well respected," he cocked his head to the side, "You on the other hand...," he let the sentence trail before casually sipping his scotch. I watched as he leaned his head agains his chair sighing relaxingly in the process as if the mere thought of the Fae visiting him was nothing but old news to him. I shared a confused look with Rhysand who also looked like he was about to spring across the table and grab uncle by the collar.

"What happened to the deal with Gregory's men?" I casually asked as I eased myself into a chair and placed my legs on the table. The portrait of carelessness. I knew that this would get his attention and just as I crossed one booted foot over the other, the corners of uncle's lip twitched in irritation.

He took another sip of his scotch, "You know I don't discuss business in the presence of guests,"

"Oh so you acknowledge the fact that they're actually here?" I asked haughtily.

"They are here and yet there's nothing I can do to help them," uncle said.

"What do you know of the Vlag?" Rhysand asked, his tone feral. The High Lord of the Night court was extremely powerful, he could smite out uncle in a mere second. He had been mortal long enough to have his powers weaken, he wouldn't be able to build a strong enough defense.

Almost as if knowing it, uncle straightened but not before taking a quick glance at me.

That was enough to confirm my doubts.

He knew about my parentage.

Anger boiled through me. What was he intending on doing with what I possessed? Did he want to keep me mortal forever? Or was his sudden portal to the Fae realm a sign of his allegiance with the Vlag?

My thoughts were interrupted when uncle, with a quick maneuver with his walking stick- smacked my legs off the table. "The Vlag," he said shooting me an irritated look in the process, "are history. They came to Prythian years ago to rule our world but my brother and I managed to drive them away. Then they ended up settling somewhere else,"

"But now they're back," Feyre said.

He shot me another quick but subtle glance, "They have their reasons most probably,"

"The most likely being to take over our world again," Rhysand said.

Uncle shrugged looking unbothered in the process, "And?"

"We need to know how to stop them," I said jumping in before Rhysand had the opportunity to smack uncle with his walking stick, "You dealt with them before, so tell us how to,"

"Us?" Uncle laughed, "So you've already picked a side,"

I knew the meaning behind those words. He knew I was Vlag and thus knew that I had to pick a side. My own or the Fae's. I ignored the meaning behind those words and shrugged, "I mean what's the other side to choose? Seeing that you're not getting involved yourself and I have no clue as to where your loyalties lie- I picked this side,"