Six- Tamlin the prison guard

Six-Tamlin the prison guard

The days went by fast, I spent my mornings stuck in my room and my evenings in uncomfortable dinners with Tamlin. Lucien had left to the Night Court, another court that belonged to Prythian along with the six other courts including the Spring Court. With Lucien gone, I was tiptoeing dangerous territory with the High Lord of the Spring Court. He had me barricaded within this prison of a mansion- leaving me with no other option but to stay put.

Tamlin had given me a small yet resourceful idea about how Prythian worked, the seven high lords who ruled over their respective courts and the recent war that had shook through the lands. Mortals existed in this world but they lived on the other side of the border. When I asked if I could go see them, the high lord of the Spring Court had gone rigid, his grip on the silverware tightening to the extent his knuckles turned red and the metal twisted under his tight grip. I was smart enough not to pick a fight with him there. If there was one thing I've learned from my time working with uncle was that I should always be mindful of who I pick my fights with. Mortal men twice or thrice the size of me wasn't an issue but considering my situation here- stuck in a new land with Fae that had powers beyond human understanding, I knew the best option was to keep my mouth shut. Tamlin had a restless energy to him, almost as if there was a beast prowling inside of him and he struggled with it everyday to keep it in a leash. One misstep and I'd be a splatter of organs on the decorated wallpaper. I was just a mere mortal to him, nothing more.

I stared at the door to my room. Tamlin didn't keep me locked inside my room, I had the freedom to explore the mansion but the thought of peering through the drab dark rooms sent a shiver down my spine. There was something off here, something I yet couldn't put my finger on. There were no servants around, maybe he just had to snap his fingers and get whatever he needed just magicked to him. The lack of other Fae in the mansion made the whole place hauntingly quiet.

I had rummaged through every corner of my room during my stay here, nothing had stood out as helpful enough to use in a fight save for the furniture.

I could always chuck a stool at him.

There was a knock at my door and I pushed myself off bed. I refused to wear the clothing Tamlin had given me, light weighted dresses adorned with flowers and silk. It was just like how I imagined faerie dresses to look like. The idea of slipping into one of those made me shudder. It was the pretty version of the orange garb prisoners wore back at the prison centers. I didn't want to feel more of a prisoner than I already was. Two weeks here and he still hadn't told me the reason as to why I was kept locked in. I was never allowed to step out of the mansion, not even for a walk in the garden, it was like the High Lord preferred trapping me in here like a rat in an experiment. He was waiting for the moment I'd snap and pull a fit. Sadly for him, I had survived in more extreme situations. This was child's play.

It was Lucien who poked his head in, "Hello Kaira," he said shooting me a warm smile in the process, "I hope you've been keeping well?"

I cocked my head to the side, a sudden flare of irritation coursing through me. "If you considered staying put in this dreary mansion for weeks as keeping well, then yes I am," I crossed my hands over my chest and leaned against one of the bed posts. Lucien's eyebrows furrowed as he stepped into the room. He ran a hand through his red tresses, "Tamlin tends to be a bit too overprotective,"

I snorted, "Well that's the understatement of the century," a pause, "What is he going to do with me?" I asked already dreading the answer.

The Fae male (as of course he wasn't a man) seemed to consider my question. A brief pause as if collecting his thoughts and then he spoke.

"Tamlin has no idea himself but he's keen on not sharing you with the rest of Prythian," at my appalled look he grimaced, "by sharing I mean, allowing the other High Lords and Lady get a good look at you and decide how to help you," he amended.

I crossed my hands over my chest, "and what's the price?"

Lucien seemed confused, "there's no price to pay. We're as confused as you are about the rip through the worlds. I spoke to the High Lord of the Night Court regarding the other woman who fell through the skies. According to him she was Fae and had been tethered back to her world by another force strong enough to help her merely pass through ours,"

"Whereas I had no tether hence why I ended here,"

He nodded, "Exactly,"

I sighed through my nostrils. Uncalled for anger swirling through my blood. This was all a fucking twisted joke. I can't stay here any longer, I needed to get back. Uncle would only give me a month tops before he decides to brand me as traitor and toss my name out of his business. That's all it'll take, especially when my disappearance couldn't be tracked down.

I have to get back.

I was considering another whole list of options when Lucien spoke, cutting me from my line of thought. "We can help each other," he gave me a strained smile, "Share information and plot the best course of action- in the end it'll be a win win situation for us both,"

I chewed at my lower lip, desperately in need of my gun. The weight of it at my waist was a comfort, even if I didn't intend on using it. "How would I know for sure that you won't kill me?"

Lucien smiled and reached into his pocket before tossing something at me. My first reaction was to find cover, my mind flitting to my training on how to survive a grenade but as soon as I caught the flash of metal- I reached out and caught hold of my gun. I hid the appreciation coursing through me with a bored stare as I fixed the weapon back at its holder on my belt. This was a peace offering.

"You're going to quietly follow me outside now. Tamlin is out hunting and this is the only window we'll get. I'm going to winnow us to the Night Court, they'd know how to tackle this situation properly,"

From the stories I've heard from Tamlin, the High Lord and Lady of the Night Court were as bad as the Fae could get. Evil and manipulative. Lucien, my only ally (from the looks of it) at the moment- seemed comfortable with the idea of taking me to the Night Court. On seeing my hesitation his gaze softened, "Rhysand and Feyre are good people, don't worry,"

Better the devil you know than the one you don't.

I shook off my skepticism and followed him outside to the garden. Let them try to break me, I would like to see them try. After all I've endured years with demons and lived to tell the tale. Nothing could put me off now.

Not even the evil Fae who lived in their Court of Nightmares.

I squared my shoulders as the warm rays of sunlight hit me. Being sequestered in the mansion had made me pale, the sun's rays on my skin was a blessing. I closed my eyes and tilted my head upwards.

Wrong move.

I didn't know Lucien had grabbed for me until the world tilted and spun.