Fifty Seven- Astral Projection

"You can't just walk around looking for another Vlag prince," I said as I moved to race after Aelin who was ready to storm through the tavern. The Queen turned her attention to me, "This priest just killed himself, who knows which body the Vlag Prince has now moved to,"

So she'd seen it too. She felt the shift as well. I tried to shake off the chill that had taken over my bones when the Vlag Princes just astral projected into another body.

"He definitely moved into another host, we need to look for anyone with a black ring or collar," Azriel said as he turned a wary eye towards the now dead priest. The dead male's fingers were bony white and there resting around his pointer finger was a black ring. It however didn't explain how the Vlag prince had moved from one body to another, according to Rowan that wasn't possible- once the host was murdered the Vlag prince died along with him. I couldn't dismiss the fact that the Prince had just gone from one body to another when I had felt the shift deep in my bones, the dark energy residing within myself had identified the shift. Things seemed to have changed from Aelin's world to this.

A thought struck me just as we made our way out of the tavern. We pulled our hoods back up and stayed in the shadows away from the prying eyes of anyone who was on the lookout. "Maybe the slaves are hosts to some of the princes," I said as we watched a few nixies dance by us. Aelin cocked her head to the side, "that could be a possibility," she said as she narrowed her eyes at a group of Fae that stood at the entrance of the fair, "Who are they?" She asked.

Both Azriel and I shared a look of distress as we watched Eris and his brothers make their way into the clearing. They all had that air of arrogance around them and the Fae bowed and shouted praises at them, a few of them even braved to inch closer and offer them trinkets and gifts. We watched as some of the brothers bullied the Fae away, disgust in our eyes.

"That's Eris and his brothers, they're the sons of Beron," Azriel said to Aelin.

The Queen of Terrasen stared at them as they made their way through the carnival, "They're a bunch of bullies," she muttered before straightening up and dusting her cloak, "If Beron is in league with Orcus then at least one of his sons would be standing with him," she gave us a conspiratorial wink, "I'll handle these pompous bastards, you both check up on the slaves," she said before disappearing into the thicket behind us.

"The slaves' collars," Azriel murmured as he swept his gaze through the crowds, "They all possess them, how are we to differentiate which ones are Vlag?"

I cocked my head to the side and watched the slaves being dragged to the stage at the far corner of the clearing. It was nearing nighttime now and soon the celebrations would begin, this was the only window we got.

"Take me to the stage and leave it to me, meanwhile you sniff around the slave masters to see if they're conspiring with the Vlag," I said.

Azriel shook his head, "it's too dangerous," he began but quieted when he realized that I won't have it in any other way. With a sigh he led me to the caravans where his satchel lay and clamped on the chains around my wrists, "Make sure your hood stays on, Eris can't recognize you,"

I nodded, "The slave masters don't wear hoods," I said before reaching down and collecting a handful of mud, "This won't be that helpful but at least you'd blend in," I said before smothering on a thick layer of mud across his face. The spy master jerked back, his hand clamping around my wrist, "What in the cauldron do you think you're doing?" He asked as he pried my hand away from his face. The mud had done its job of covering up most of his features and I shook free of his grasp, "Don't fret pretty boy, it's only a bit of mud," I said as I wiped off the remaining dirt on my pants. Azriel shot me a glare before yanking at my chains, "Only fifteen minutes and then I'm pulling you out from the pit. Be ready by then,"

"What if I take more than fifteen minutes?"

A yank at the chains and I was pulled hard against his chest. Almost out of habit my palms splayed against his chest and I jutted my chin upwards to meet his gaze.

"That's a pit full of slaves, people who would do anything to get away with their freedom," his gaze was hard as he bared his fangs at me, "I would not risk the life of my mate for something I can do myself,"

I pushed against his chest, "Don't take me for weak and helpless Azriel!" I spat, "I may be in chains but I can still get away with whatever I want. Keep that in mind," and before he could argue any further I stepped away from him and turned my gaze away from his.

He didn't say a word as he pulled at my chains and led me away from the caravans.

There was Vlag residing in the slaves, I could feel their energy from here. In no way was I allowing Azriel to be surrounded by them.

No one gets to harm my mate other than myself.

And that was that.