||2||

"Y/n~ we're here~!" Temari exclaimed from the entryway as she and Kankuro burst through the door.

"I've missed your food, dear y/n," Kankuro whined as he dropped down at the dining table, "Konoha food has nothing on the delecacies you put out for us."

"You're being a bit much, Kankuro," I smiled at him before looking up to see the red haired boy stood in the doorway.

"Evening. Thank you for allowing me to eat here today," Gaara greeted me, somehow he seemed to be more nervous than I was. How is that even possible?

"Uh-- well... Don't mention it and just take a seat," I replied awkwardly, not meeting his gaze before turning around and focusing on the food.

"Wow~ that was awkward," Temari teased as she and Gaara sat down and I began serving, "both of you need to relax."

"I want to make a good first impression," Gaara muttered as I turned, two plates in hand, "and I could sense she was scared even before we entered. I didn't really know what to do and when I started to speak..."

"We get it, we need to work on communication next," Kankuro quickly cut Gaara off, taking the plates from my hands and placing them in front of Temari and Gaara. I grabbed the last two and sat next to the teen, giving him one of the plates and placing the other in front of myself.

"Well... I hope you enjoy," I told them.

"Thanks for the food," we all chimed before beginning to eat.

"It's food from the heavens!" Kankuro basically cried as he ate, "you should've come to Konohagakure with us. Then I wouldn't have had to suffer ramen everyday."

"And attack them with you? No thanks," I shook my head, "I'd be no better than Itachi then."

"It was different," Temari said, "he killed his clan in cold blood. We were... well, I don't really know what we were doing but I think it was different."

"I think there's a bigger story behind the Uchiha for one, and, whether it was different or the same," I paused and sighed, "it still resulted in the deaths of innocents and ninja. So in the end, it was unnecessary."

Silence dropped on us, the only sound was our cutlery hitting the sides of our dishes.

"I'm sorry," Gaara suddenly apologised.

"Why're you apologising?" Temari asked as we all froze and stared at him.

"We hurt the people of your home," Gaara turned his gaze directly to me, "I'm sorry because I inflicted a lot of harm on them."

"I--" I found myself struggling for words so instead I just looked down and continued eating.

Well... This isn't one hell of an awkward meal. Nope. Totally... normal.

°🧪°
After the meal_

"Well, thank you for letting us eat with you today, y/n," Temari thanked me once we'd finished cleaning everything up. They were congregated in the doorway leading outside.

"Uh-- yeah. Thanks for coming," I nodded, "it was... fun..."

"Sure was," Kankuro nodded awkwardly before sighing, "anyway, we'll see you later. Get some rest."

"Gladly," I nodded, "see you later."

I waved as they began walking away. But Gaara lingered for a bit so I stepped forward.

"Thank you," I whispered, "for... Realising that you were wrong and apologising. Even if it won't turn back time, it's good to know you're reflecting and learning."

Gaara paused for a moment but didn't turn back around, instead the sand just seemed to dance around him in a gentle, welcoming way before he disappeared along with his siblings.

I smiled and closed the door before stretching and heading up to bed.

"You know," I flopped down on my bed, "I guess he really has changed. Its actually kind of nice to see. Usually people don't change that easily, but something really changed him. I'm amazed."

It must've really smacked him in the face to have changed him so much. Or was it someone else who changed him? Nah.

"Impossible," I shook my head, "there is no one on this world who could possibly change the mind of a blood thirsty, naglected, depressed jinchuriki. No matter how special they are."