||36||

Yohei's PoV

An uncomfortable shiver rolled down my spine as I picked up the last of the paperwork that needed filing.

I glanced out the window with a frown, humming as I did.

"Hey, Shikaku, mind filing the rest of these?" I turned to the Nara who looked just not even half as exhausted as me. Damn Nara's, bet he took a nap when I was talking to Tsunade. Not cool.

"Do you need to be somewhere?" he asked, looking up from his own work.

"Yeah. I told y/n to go home ahead of me but..." I paused.

Shikaku sighed and stood up, he walked over to me and held his hand out to me.

"Just go," he told me, "you look like you'll collapse if you stay here any longer anyway."

"Thanks," I passed him the papers and grabbed my jacket before rushing out the office. Stumbling in the hall as I almost ran into the wall.

I ran through the streets, trying my best not to bump into anyone and shouting an awkward apology back if I did.

I have a bad feeling.

"Short cut," I muttered before jumping and landing on a nearby route, "too many people down there."

I stopped looking over the crowd and hopped across the rooves until I reached my house. Well-- my brothers house. It still doesn't feel like mine. I don't think it'll ever feel like mine.

Pushing the door open, I kicked my shoes off in the doorway.

Y/n's were there so she's here.

"y/n?" I called out, walking through the entry hall and into the open area of the house, "Hello?"

The sound of struggled breaths caught my attention in the silence. Looking to my right, I see h/c hair on the arm of the sofa.

"I see you," I walked over, "so don't pretend you didn't hear me."

I froze when I saw her pills covering the floor, her arm hanging off the sofa limply.

"What the hell is that?" I stared at the dark purple, almost black veins that were webbing up her neck and at her lower half of her face, "y/n? Hey, answer me... Y/n?"

Damn it!

I quickly picked her up but she sudden let out a loud pained shout and I put her back down again, staggering away from her.

"W...hat..?" I watched as she opened her eyes weakly and looked to me with tears in her eyes.

"U... Uncle... it hurts... Please... make it stop," she breathlessly begged.

"I don't understand. How--" I paused for a moment, catching my slowly speeding up breath, "why are you like this? What's going on? Tsu... Tsunade. I have to go get Tsunade."

I went to leave but stopped and looked back to y/n.

"But I can't leave you," I was conflicted, "what do I do?"

I looked to the photos, to my brother.

"What do I do, Kohei?" I asked before I felt something grab my hand. I looked down to see it was y/n. She let out a breath before looking to me.

"Go," she let out before letting me go as she let out another pained outburst and curled up.

Go.

Go, Yohei!

Move!

GO!

Tsunade's PoV

"Lady Tsunade," Shizune walked into the office, a file in her hands, "y/n's medical records from Sunagakure."

"Oh have they finally arrived?" I looked up as she passed them to me, I took them and opened them, "looks like they really tried hard to make a cure here. But why didn't they get that old poison hag to help?"

"You mean Lady Chiyo?" Shizune asked.

"Yes, her," I nodded as I read the contents.

"Apparently they asked multiple times but she was adament not to help a leaf born person, child or not," she told me.

"Stubborn fool," I shook my head before standing up, "Alright, I think we've got enough information now. Let's head to the lab and--"

The door to my office slammed open, we both looked over to see it was Yohei. He stood in the doorway, fighting to catch his breath like he'd just run around the whole village and back.

Didn't he leave only ten minutes ago?

"Help," he managed to get out.

Help?

"She's... dying," he looked at me with a panicked look.

I looked over to Shizune, she nodded and left to go to the lab while I stood up and walked over to Yohei.

"Let's go," I told him.

"Thank you," he smiled weakly.

I smiled and nodded before we both ran to his house, once we were there I found myself looking at a girl clearly in a lot of pain.

What is this?

I looked at her face, the veins were coloured dark.

"The poison is attacking her actively now," I commented as I looked over her, "I'll try heal her for now."

I hovered my hands over her where I sensed the poison was most in concentration but when I started to heal her she seemed to writhe more but the marks were disappearing.

"You need to endure this, y/n," I told her, "because it may hurt, but it's helping you, OK?"

"O...k...ay..." she grunted through grit teeth.

After a few minutes, all the marks were gone and y/n was no longer in pain. She let out relaxed breaths. She was unconscious, probably from the pain, but at least she's fine now.

I stood up and turned to Yohei.

"I'm forbidding her doing any missions from this point on. No training either," I told him, "the poison is active now, before it was more like, well not that."

It wasn't dormant or she wouldn't have collapsed so many times.

"Luckily, we've got her documents from Suna now so I can start to work on this poison," I told him, "Shizune is in the lab now. Don't worry."

I placed my hand on his shoulder and gave him the best reassuring smile I could give him.

"We'll cure this, I promise we will," I told him.

"I'll be forever indebted to you," he bowed his head to me.

"No you won't," I shook my head, "after all, is she not one of my villagers? One of my ninja? Isn't it my job to protect her with everything I have?"

He looked at me in surprise before smiling and nodding.

"That's true."

"Then I'll be leaving, get her to her bed and tell her to stay there for a few days. I'll be back to get some blood samples tomorrow when she's a bit stronger."

I turned and started to leave. I paused and turned back to see Yohei gently picking y/n up and walking away.

He clearly loves her a lot.

If I'm not saving her for her, I'm saving her for him. After all, if she dies... he will never be able to recover.

I think after all these years, he may actually think of her more as a daughter rather than a niece.

Turning, I walked out the building and headed towards the lab.

"I'll save her," I muttered, "even if I don't sleep. I will. I'll save her."

Just hold on a little longer, y/n. Just a little longer.