5 | PREFECT

ACT THREE, loss
CHAPTER FIVE, prefect

        Iris had a hard time sleeping.

She had a habit of going to bed late and waking up early, which explained why she was up and about at half-past five the next morning. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Sirius, Calypso, Lupin, and Tonks sat in the kitchen, talking softly while Iris ate bacon and eggs.

The door to the kitchen opened and Harry walked through. He was surprised to see them all sitting in the kitchen, fully dressed and wide awake. Mrs. Weasley was the only one still wearing her nightgown and she jumped to her feet the moment Harry stepped into the kitchen.

"Breakfast," she said as she pulled out her wand and hurried over tothe fire. 

"M-m-morning, Harry," yawned Tonks. Her hair was blonde and curly this morning. "Sleep all right?"

 "Yeah," said Harry. 

"I've b-b-been up all night," she said, with another shuddering yawn. "Come and sit down. . . ."

 She drew out the chair beside Iris for him, knocking over the one beside it in the process. 

"What do you want, Harry?" Mrs. Weasley called. "Porridge? Muffins? Kippers? Bacon and eggs? Toast?" 

"Just — just toast, thanks," said Harry. 

Lupin glanced at Harry, then said to Tonks, "What were you saying about Scrimgeour?"

 "Oh . . . yeah . . . well, we need to be a bit more careful, he's been asking Kingsley and me funny questions. . . ."

Iris offered Harry a small smile that he returned when he took his place beside her. Mrs. Weasley placed a couple pieces of toast and marmalade in front of him before she sat down on the other side of him and began fussing with his t-shirt, tucking in the label and smoothing out the creases on the shoulders. A pink blush crept up Harry's neck and he glanced at Iris out of the corner of his eye with an embarassed look on his face. 

". . . and I'll have to tell Dumbledore I can't do night duty tomorrow, I'm just t-t-too tired," Tonks finished, yawning hugely again. 

"I'll cover for you," said Mr. Weasley. 

"I'm okay, I've got a report to finish anyway. . . ." 

Mr. Weasley was not wearing wizard's robes but a pair of pin striped trousers and an old bomber jacket. He turned from Tonks to Harry.

 "How are you feeling?" 

Harry shrugged. 

"It'll all be over soon," Mr. Weasley said bracingly. "In a few hours' time you'll be cleared." 

Harry said nothing.

 "The hearing's on my floor, in Amelia Bones's office. She's Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement and she's the one who'll be questioning you." 

"Amelia Bones is okay, Harry," said Tonks earnestly. "She's fair, she'll hear you out." 

Harry nodded, still unable to say anything. 

"Don't lose your temper," Calypso advised. "Be polite and stick to the facts." 

Harry nodded again.

 "The law's on your side," said Lupin quietly. "Even underage wizards are allowed to use magic in life-threatening situations." 

Mrs. Weasley began attacking Harry's hair with a wet comb. She pressed hard on the top of his head.